Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Wet 'n Wild Color Icon Blushes



I'm not exactly sure why it was that I went on a massive Wet 'n Wild binge. Call it a mixture of watching YouTube, drugstore incentives, and being bored with high end releases. I picked up most of the blushes from Wet 'n Wild, and I've been putting them to the test. Sorry about the flashback on the blushes, but it's the best that I can do right now. #renovationproblems #noplacetophotograph

Between my local Target, Walmart, CVS, RiteAid, and Walgreens, I found five different shades of Wet 'n Wild Color Icon Blushes. MSRP varies, but the average price I found was about $2.99 each for 0.2oz of product.

In all of my photos, I'm wearing the same face products to control for differences in performance. And- it's a good way to test two of these items.  Concealer: L'Oreal True Match Concealer Crayon (I'll be talking about this whole line soon), Foundation: Bobbi Brown Tinted Moisturizer Oil Free- Alabaster Tint (a use it up item), Powder: Maybelline Shine-Free Loose Powder (which I'm testing as an alternative to high-end face powders.

Shade 325B- Pearlescent Pink



When I purchased this shade, I was a little surprised that it's called a pink. It's more of a peachy shade that's nothing but money on me.  It's just gorgeous. It shows up way pinker in photographs than in person.



There's a sheen but it's totally understated and lovely. It's not obnoxious and it feels much more expensive than the price tag. This is another blush that went into my everyday makeup drawer for immediate rotation (more on that later). I do like this a lot.



I do feel that it might be a little more spring/summer than fall, but I do like it.


This is one of my favorite shades of the bunch.

Shade 326B- Rose Champagne



This was the first one that I tried out. It's a really nice, mellow neutral shade. I will admit that upon application, my first thought was "whoa glitter cheeks." I should've known with the gold glitter visible in the pan. I've been using mostly matte or satin blushes as of late, but it did settle down to a rather obvious sheen. Perhaps I just put way too much on.



Throughout the day, it mellowed out a bit and it grew on me. In all fairness, I should've been in the mode of my Hourglass Ambient Lighting Blushes before playing with these because any shimmer was a huge change for me. And in photographs I love the neutral shimmer.

I'm not sure what Rose Champagne the Wet 'n Wild shade namers are drinking, but... It's definitely not a Rose. Still, this is a lovely neutral blush with a bunch of shimmer that would be good on a tamed-down look day- think matte eyes and no highlighter to let this guy shine.



In terms of wear time, I was impressed (especially for the price point). I think this guy could make it through a full work day- but don't push it for Happy Hour!


Shade 327B- Apri-Cot in the Middle



I think this was the second shade that I picked up after Rose Champagne because it seemed like an awesome neutral shade for fall.



It photographs a bit lighter than it appears in the pan. It's the type of peachy neutral color that generally just works for me.



I was right. It's a gorgeous nude shade that's staying in my daily makeup drawer. It has a subtle sheen that's just incredible.



This is my favorite shade of the 5 and exactly the type of item I was hoping to discover when I bought the whole collection (keep in mind that I spent under $20 for the group- score!)

Shade 328B- Mellow Wine



This was actually the second shade that I tested- I needed a break from all teh glitterz. I'm also going to full disclosure- I tested this inside the house only because it's so much more pigmented than I prefer. Then why did I purchase it? I was interested in trying the only shade that appeared to not have any obvious glitter in it. I also didn't know what the color payoff would be.




I used an ancient Sephora Professional Angled Blush Brush #40 (synthetic, tends to diffuse color) in these photos. I really love the formula, but I don't feel comfortable with this bold of a blush since I have rosacea. No highlight or bronzer with this look.



Intellectually, this is a gorgeous shade and perfect for fall that I'd totally recommend to any of you. On me, however, it made me feel like I had a major concealer/foundation fail and my rosacea was showing.

Shade 329B- Fantastic Plastic Pink



Whoa Mama, this one is just... PINK! And GLITTER!  And that's just in the pan. With a bit of trepidation and remembering that it's just makeup, I set out to test the Barbie Pink of the group. I sat and side-eyed it for awhile but then remembered that I adore MAC Pink Swoon that also looks scary.



Just like with Mellow Wine, I went to my old trusty Sephora Professional Angled Blush Brush #40.



On my super-pale skin, it's almost obnoxious pink. And that's ok! I think this would be fun in like January or February with an icy look- like the cold temperatures have kissed your cheeks. It's very cool-toned. Here's the really crazy thing- I love the glitter. It doesn't translate as chunky on the cheeks as it does in the pan.



I like this! I need to play around with application a bit, but this blush is headed over to the spring/summer drawer.


Here's a heavy group swatch, using a large eyeshadow brush:



So, that's it for the five regular Color Icon Blushes that I was able to find! I have three other Ombre blushes to try out at a later date, but I think I'll give my cheeks a swatching break for a bit.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review~~ it’s very helpful. I actually bought Pearlescent Pink, Apri-cot in the middle and Mellow wine. I like them more than my MAC blushes

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers- please let me know what you thought about these posts. Please keep it related to the content in that post, though. Spammers, solicitation, or inappropriate content are my only no-gos.