Sunday, October 2, 2016

QBB's Skincare No-Buy- Part 1

Hey guys!

So this post will be a little different- I don't have any photos planned. You'll see some of it soon though when I do my September empties and favorites (Girl. I needed a legit shopping bag for September. Holla!)

I wanted to take a moment to talk about this crazy No-Buy that I've been on since March!

I think the need for a no-buy hit me shortly after the Sephora sale this spring, when I literally couldn't get my basic skincare and haircare in a medicine cabinet. Just the daily necessities.

Let that sink in for a moment.

I also had overflowing bins of samples.

So I decided to do something insane: go on a skincare no-buy. I wanted to use up everything that I had so that I could make an informed decision on what my skin really needs. This will be wrapping up soon- likely with the next Sephora sale and Lord & Taylor's Friends & Family (in case you didn't know, you get 10% off cosmetics. Including Chanel.). One might think this is scary given my ultra-sensitive skin, but I've given away many samples I know won't work for me, and I tend to use brands and lines I trust.

I'm so not even done yet, but I'm starting to run low on some key categories. That fits in with my original rules.


  • You can buy makeup wipes (I use them swatching and cleaning up my face)- but you only get 1 package of Purity wipes every 2 months at best.
  • You can buy a single item in a category once you've finished all full-size and travel-sized items in that category
  • If something happens with your skin and you need a specific treatment, that's ok.
  • Stop buying skincare! Just because you want something, you don't need it.
  • Sunscreen does not count- I consider that preventative medication, like vitamins (someday I'll go into this, but I wear 3 different sunscreens daily and just pray I'm avoiding my likely fate. I also have the skin of an early 20-something in my mid-30s. HOLLA!)

Even though sunscreen doesn't count, here's the sum total of my skincare-related purchases since I went on the no buy (I had an eye cream in reserve):
  • Aveeno Ultra Calming Foaming Cleanser
  • Herbivore Rose Hibiscus Coconut Water Hydrating Face Mist (I just got this once the weather suddenly did a 180)
  • Chanel UV Essentiel SPF 50
  • Shiseido Sun Protection Eye Cream SPF 15

The only one that was a bit naughty was the face mist, but the only hydrating face mist I own that's not a primer or setting spray is a large bottle that can't go with me. The last time I bought skincare was in March, I believe.

The money that I've saved allowed me to somewhat finance my recent DIY renovations. I've also been discovering a number of products that I love. The only reason that it will be coming to an end is the changing seasons- I simply don't have any more samples of the rich products that my face demands once we hit fall.

I shocked myself- Either I'm just good to have already identified amazing products that I love, or I'm cheap when testing them one after another. I think I'll be repurchasing a lot of the moderately priced (for skincare) products I used before this no buy. Perhaps it's that whole wanting to know what else is out there itch that I had to scratch?

Here's my dilemma: I really liked a couple of extremely pricey items. In one case, I was using items from that same parent brand, just down a couple of lines (AmorePacific v Laneige). I just don't know if I can justify a huge pricetag for an item that performed better (but not that much better) than my trusty items (that are usually in the ballpark of $30-50 each).

When I finally start purchasing items, I'm going to be filling my medicine cabinet with the following items by category (Part 1)

  • Foaming Cleanser: I adore a foaming cleanser for usage in the morning. I'm really loving the Aveeno Ultra Calming Foaming Cleanser (under $10) I bought- and its price! In terms of high end cleansers, I do love L'Occitane's Immortale Cleansing Foam ($30).
  • Creamy Cleanser: This will be a bit, since I have two large cleansers I'll be using up. I tend to keep 2 large on-hand (one in the cabinet and the other in the shower). I have three that are my favorites: Shiseido Benefiance Extra Creamy Cleansing Foam ($35, currently in the shower), First Aid Beauty Face Cleanser ($30, likely next up in the cabinet for usage with my sonic face cleanser), and Chanel Mousse Douceur (I love the clean feeling that I get with this, but it might be too much for winter). I do want to try Aerin Rose Gentle Cleanser ($35) because my skin loves rose items.
  • Hydrating Toner: I have two that I really love. I also like to keep 2 toners around because my skin gets bored within weeks. I'll likely keep Kiehl's Ultra Facial Toner ($16) and Laneige Sensitive Essential Sensitive Skin Refiner (about $25-30) in rotation.
  • Facial Mist: I'm going to keep repurchasing one of my favorite budget staples: Reviva Labs Rosewater Facial Spray. It's super hydrating- rosewater, aloe, and hyaluronic acid are among the ingredients. It's also about $8 on Amazon for 8oz! I'm also going to keep using the Herbivore one that I have (but it lives on my bedside table for a reason)
  • Facial Oil: I have to re-introduce this into my routine for fall. I have three that I love: one honey oil-  Guerlain Abeille Royale Face Treatment Oil ($98), and two rose oils- Laura Mercier Flawless Skin Infusion de Rose Nourishing Oil ($62), and By Terry Liftessence Oil Elexir ($140)

That's as far as I'm going to go today... more later this week. Also: September favorites & empties!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers- please let me know what you thought about these posts. Please keep it related to the content in that post, though. Spammers, solicitation, or inappropriate content are my only no-gos.