Sunday, July 24, 2016

Foreo Luna Play







I've purposely held off on this post although anyone who has browsed my Instagram has seen a preview of what I might say today. Since we're talking both skincare and a cleansing device, I wanted to put it through its paces before really giving it an honest review. And let me also put this out there: I paid full price for mine and did not get mine through a subscription box.

What is it? It's the Foreo Luna Play ($39, available in 7 colors), a mini version of the Foreo Luna sonic cleansing brush. Each one is non-rechargable and is pre-loaded with 100 uses. It is designed for either travel or for how I used it- a way to honestly take a silicone cleansing tool for a real life trial without committing to a full-sized version ($99 and up, but included in Nordstrom's Anniversary sale).

How does the manufacturer describe it? From Foreo's website,

"Though small in size, the LUNA play facial-cleansing brush is big on innovation. Packing the entire LUNA experience into a macaroon-sized device, the LUNA play is a fun and affordable intro to the amazing skincare benefits that come from T-Sonic cleansing.
Every LUNA play face brush provides up to 100 full cleansing routines and is non rechargeable.

Experience T-Sonic pulsations with the LUNA play.  Soft silicone touch-points gently remove dead skin cells, unclogs pores of makeup residue, and removes up to 99.5% of dirt and oil. Your skin will be left glowing, soft and smooth.

The LUNA play’s 2-zone facial brush features finer touch-points which cleanse sensitive/normal skin on larger areas like the cheeks and forehead, while thicker touch-points provide a deep and precise cleansing on areas like the T-zone."

What type of skin does QBB have? Highly sensitive, mild rosacea in the cheek area, slightly oily just around the nose and chin with a few enlarged pores. QBB is in her early-to-mid 30s, with only the monthly hormonal 1-2 pimples reminding me of my biological clock. Otherwise, QBB has very smooth, mostly unblemished skin without acne scarring or sun damage. During winter, QBB's skin is exceptionally dry; during summer it becomes about normal. In a nutshell, I'm not exceptionally oily or problematic- I mostly just try not to poke the bear and it's pretty happy as long as I throw moisture at it and keep it clean.

What was QBB's cleaning routine before trying this? It depended on whether I was a morning or evening shower. If showering in the AM, a creamy cleanser in the shower (Chanel Mousse Douceur, one of my faves). If showering in the PM, I'd use the same creamy cleanser but then in the AM use a foamy cleanser to wash my face like L'Occitane Precious Cleansing Foam. I used my hands and a soft wash cloth. I rarely exfoliate because of the sensitivity of my skin.

What other cleansing devices has QBB tried, and what was the outcome? HA! I had one and only experience with a Clarisonic, at a Nordstrom Beauty Trend Show. The brand reps were on hand, and I somewhat fearfully stood in line for the "best cleanse of my life". I relayed just how darned sensitive my skin was, they used the cashmere brush head (which works apparently on 99% of the population), and it hurt. I looked like a tomato within 30 seconds and the person wielding the device stopped and said "I'm sorry, honey. Don't ever let anyone use one of these on you again." So you can see why I was a bit leery of even the Foreo Luna Play. (I do have a Clarisonic, by the way- the Pedi. My feet love it.)

Phew, with those important details, let's talk about the Foreo Luna Play. First, it's tiny. This comparison picture to some of my favorite cleansers should give you a size reference:





I thought that it would be difficult to handle, but it took about 20 seconds to figure it out- and I actually like the size for really getting into my trouble areas like the pores on the side of my nose (TMI, I know). Here's the size of the button:





One of the major cons that people have mentioned is that it's not reusable and therefore it's bad for the environment. I don't know what to say other than we all make some choices that are better or worse for the environment than others. Make your own decisions... for me, it's been worth it.

You can use it with any creamy cleanser- I like so many on the market, but used mostly these two Chanels while testing:



Overall, I was stunned with the results. My skin feels smoother and cleaner- and I was shocked at just how much more stuff the Play was able to get off my skin than my regular cleansing routine. It's also gentle enough that my hyper-sensitive skin was never irritated by it. I never tried using it more than once a day, so I can't speak to those who would want to use it morning and night.

I'm hooked. For me, the biggest decision is which model to get- the Sensitive or the regular Mini? I can honestly see a difference in the texture of my skin and it's much healthier. I had my normal hormonal breakouts since starting to use it, but they're less intense. I can't recommend this enough to everyone.

I think the best way to handle this is via the comments- if you have questions, please shoot me a comment. Skincare is such a personalized experience, so I want to try to give the best answer possible.

Bottom line: Try it. JUST DO IT. It's only a $39 investment, but it's so worth it. Your skin will thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers- please let me know what you thought about these posts. Please keep it related to the content in that post, though. Spammers, solicitation, or inappropriate content are my only no-gos.