Tuesday, March 15, 2016

It's Not Easy Being Green: Cover FX Correct Click Color Corrector & Becca Backlight Targeted Colour Corrector


Much like Kermit the Frog said, it's really not easy being green. For the more than the past month, I've been testing a bevvy of green products on my face all in the name of color correction and science.

It also seemed like perfect timing to launch these posts right around St. Patrick's Day on Thursday.

I'm going to do something scary today: show you my uncorrected skin.  I've mentioned in many of my posts that I suffer from a mild case of rosacea. I've actually used it as a blush in the past with a thin foundation. I'm going to be honest: I have a lot of anxiety about this. I accept my skin, but given how cruel the internet has been to me and this site before, it is taking all of my courage to do this.

I remember early color correctors- large green concealer bullets. (I actually tested one of those just to be fair). I always loved the idea but hated the execution.

I'm thrilled that a bunch of companies have released lines of color correcting products new for Spring 2016 that join an already-robust offering of products. Please keep in mind that I'll be showing you Green products right now- meant for redness reducing for intense spots. Each of these brands are releasing products for brightening, dark spot reduction, sallowness reduction along with the redness reduction.

These posts have obviously been in the works and in testing for a very long time. I tested each one of these products for a minimum of three days, and with different foundation formulas during the trial period. One of the reasons why I wanted to create these posts, and ultimately a mega post is to compare different formulas side by side; although these are the green versions other correctors from the same collection are likely to share the same characteristics.


In order to cut down on post length, I'm going to do these one at a time- or in batches. First up, Cover FX's Correct Click Color Corrector.





 Cover FX Correct Click ($18, 0.19oz)


Price Index: $94.74/oz

My first thought upon opening this box was "is that it?" This is a very tiny little twist up stick-style color correcting stick. Here is it next to my deluxe mini Benefit Shy Beam Highlighter.


That said, it doesn't take a lot due to the consistency. It's a lighter green, and applies in a thin, even line:



This is very much a solid stick- think of it like a stick concealer on the dry end of the spectrum. I had to actually apply straight to my face so that my body heat could heat up the bullet enough to leave product where needed. With a stick/cream, you should be able to pick up product from the bullet with your brush and stiple it on. I couldn't do that with this one.


The Wear Test: I wasn't crazy about the stick format- I can easily see this tugging and breaking while awkwardly gliding over the skin. One would think that a solid concealer (vs a highly fluid form) would provide significantly fuller and long-lasting coverage, but that wasn't my experience here. It ended up being very light and patchy. It blended but left distinct lines as you can see in the photo. It lasted a paltry 8 hours or so; when I wasn't wearing a longwear, full coverage foundation I could see my cheeks getting redder as the day went on.









This is my first experience with this brand, and I'm left wanting more. I had high hopes for the reinvented stick corrector, but I'm left empty handed. 

Bottom Line: This is a pricey option based on the mini size of the item. This provides light coverage and blends pretty well with a light hand and good brush. I'd recommend this mainly for someone with light redness instead of a heavy-duty need. In all fairness, my skin was pretty darned angry when I was trying this one out so it was probably a rougher than average trial.

And on the other end of the spectrum, we have  Becca Backlight Targeted Colour Corrector ($30, 0.16oz), which can be picked up at Sephora.






In terms of portability, I adore this little cutie.



Price Index: $187.50/oz

This pot-based corrector was actually a bit tricky to track down, as it's sold only at Sephora (where it's been quite popular) and on Becca's website. This shade has been sold out on Sephora.com for awhile, and I tracked down the last one within 25 miles of me. Needless to say, this set me up for high expectations.



This cute little concealer pot comes in four colors, with the color name listed on the bottom:

1


Very cute and portable. There was one quirk- when I first opened it up, I saw this on the surface:



I'm not sure if that texture is intentional or not, but I didn't notice any texture issues once I started using it. I was a bit concerned when I ordered it, since it looked really dark. Turns out, I didn't have to worry about that.


I think I'm old school; there's something so nice and precise to be able to control the application with a concealer brush. That swatch took 2 passes to build up. I'm a believer that less is more, so I was already feeling good about this one. It's also very creamy- it reminds me of a great cream eyeshadow.

The Wear Test: I probably put this one through its paces more than any other corrector. Two of the three days I partook in Happy Hour- something which usually brings about red cheeks. Add in that I was on Hour #13 for the day upon arrival at Happy Hour, and it was set up for failure. Well, I'm thrilled to report that it didn't fail me! Even worse, on Day #3, I wore pink makeup. Becca's Corrector was up to the task.




In terms of application, I painted little lines on my face, then used my Sephora Collection Airbrush Concealer Brush to blend it out. It blended well and didn't leave a green or white cast to my face. It was up to the task for 12+ hours each day. The form allowed me total precision- something that I crave with my makeup. I went with a light hand partially to test the effect of this product- plus it's easier to photograph that way.

Bottom Line: This is an excellent corrector that blends out well. I subjected it to some of the worst conditions throughout the entire test period and it performed admirably. The only issues I have with it are accessibility (it was hard to find) and the price point. $30 for a pot of corrector is starting to feel pricey, but that might just be me. Ultimately, however, this was one of two products that irritated my skin so I'm left at the drawing board.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers- please let me know what you thought about these posts. Please keep it related to the content in that post, though. Spammers, solicitation, or inappropriate content are my only no-gos.