Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Lancome Universal Nude Lip Set



While browsing Nordstrom.com recently, I spotted a great little set from Lancome and immediately purchased. Once I received it, I realized that this was one of the first Holiday 2014 releases.


Lancome's Universal Nude Lip Set ($42) is comprised of four items: Color Design Lipstick in Trendy Mauve ($22.50), Gloss in Love in #351 Lily en Lame ($27), Le Lipstique in Clair ($25), and a beautiful black makeup bag/pouch. This is a great value, with a total MSRP for the 3 items at $74.50, plus the makeup bag.




I'm going to start by talking about the one piece that I didn't swatch or photograph much- the Le Lipstique in Clair. It's a lovely clear lipliner. I've tried multiple brands' clear lipliners, and find that the Lancome version works well for a workday. At $25, it wouldn't be my first choice (I find the MUFE a fantastic value at $19), but it's a great inclusion in the set. I'm not a big fan of brushes included with lipliners, but this one is adequate.

Next, let's talk about the unexpected love (for me): the bag.


This cute little clutch tucks into all but the smallest bags, and has a surprisingly large capacity. At an evening event where I was carrying a clutch, this held my Chanel Les Beiges, a small brush, lip balm, and lipstick.



It's the little details, like the flap that conceals the zipper and the crystal pull that make this a lovely addition.

Now, let's talk about the 2 colored lip products. I didn't do in-depth testing of each piece, but wanted to put swatches out there for those who are thinking of buying the set either for themselves or as a gift. When I speak about wear time, these are initial thoughts, and based upon my prior experience with the brand's items and only one day of testing rather than the usual 3-5 that I give an item.

First, the Lancome Color Design lipstick in Trendy Mauve (0.14 oz/4g/ $22.50) is a full-coverage, satin lipstick. I find this to be a darker nude, but still wearable with my pigmented lips. I find the design of the Color Design lipsticks to be bizarre. It's upside down! Look at the rounded end on the end of the tube!


It's quite lovely and is the Lancome rose:


As long as you don't try to stand the tube up, it shouldn't bother you. For taking photos, it was a giant pain in the rear.

Trendy Mauve is a brown nude:


In general, I find these last 3-4 hours, or until I start eating or drinking. At this price point, they're nice lipsticks.

Next, let's talk about Gloss in Love #351, Lily en Lame. Although the flash washes out the "Gloss in Love" label, I find this shot to be the most accurate in terms of the actual color:


For those who haven't seen the wand, here's a terrible shot of it:



It's somewhat similar to Giorgio Armani Flash Lacquer #600 (review pending), and a very glittery gloss. When I was swatching, it look several attempts to remove the residual glitter from my hands. Wear time is 2-3 hours, or until eating/drinking. It's fairly soft (and by that, I mean non-gritty).

In terms of nudes, I find this to be more of a rosy set, based on my swatches.

Outdoor swatch of the lipstick & gloss (no direct sun when I was swatching):



I didn't swatch the lipliner since it's clear.

Lip swatch of just the Trendy Mauve Color Design Lipstick:



Lip swatches of just Gloss in Love #351, Lily en Lame:



Lip swatch of all 3 items together:


Bottom Line: I love it. This is a great set all around- neutral lipstick, gorgeous gloss, clear lipliner (who doesn't need another one of those?), and awesome bag. For me, this is a can't miss. It will work on a number of skintones.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers- please let me know what you thought about these posts. Please keep it related to the content in that post, though. Spammers, solicitation, or inappropriate content are my only no-gos.