Thursday, August 31, 2017

Laura Geller Filter Corrector Color Perfecting Balm

Quick side note: remember how I didn't plan to post daily? I started reshooting and pulling products I wanted to feature and noticed I have enough for daily posts through September at least. Don't get used to it long-term though!

This is one of those products that it makes me so sad to have to reshoot photos because of the damage done by regular usage!



For a hot minute over the past couple of years, we all got obsessed with color correcting. As someone who struggles with redness, I've always been down with green correctors. Like most trends, I feel like it had to reach its peak before getting back under control. I've been focused on working down my ridiculously large corrector stash lately and it really takes something different for me to part with my money. The newish Laura Geller Filter Corrector Color Perfecting Balm ($32) qualifies.

Can I take a quick moment to say how much I even appreciate the box? It's the little details that make this a standout product.



I picked mine up online from Ulta and purchased sight unseen. The design is really interesting- it's a vertical stack of three potted corrector balms. Overall, it feels really well put together.



I'll be honest- I really don't like potted products. They tend to be drier, and since you correct before foundation they tend to be difficult to work with. However, these are very emollient. Well done, Laura Geller!


Before I get into the products, let's talk quantity and price. For that $32, you get a total of 4g/0.14oz of product that was made in the USA.


That's exceptionally expensive. The Maybelline Master Camo palettes with 6 products contain 0.21oz and retail for $12.99, the Stila Correct & Perfect Palette has 0.46oz for $45, it's the size of 3 Bobbi Brown correctors (which retail for $27 each), the Sephora-exclusive Tarte palette has 6 x0.11 oz correctors for $45 ($36 on sale), and the individual Becca correctors are $2 less and contain 0.16 of product.

I'll be honest, that math just changed my entire opinion of this product. More on that later.


The top layer has a hidden mirror (nice touch) and a peachy corrector.



There's also a little booklet in the package that shows you how they suggest using the product. Spoiler alert: put peach under the eyes.



Here's a swatch of the peach corrector.




I'll be honest, it's too dark for me except when I'm self-tanned, or if I work it incredibly carefully and in a tiny amount.


The second layer is a blue corrector.




This is the most white-based corrector of the three, and easiest to wear with my complexion. Here's a swatch.


I don't own any other blue correctors. According to the little booklet, it's supposed to eliminate yellow undertones and provide brightening.


The third and bottom layer is a traditional green corrector.


Here's a swatch. In terms of green correctors in my collection, it's dark.

And here's the little booklet:


OK, now that I've tried to objectively show you the product, let's get into my real opinion.

Who is this product really meant for?

Not me. This is marketed as a universal corrector and I strongly, violently disagree. It's only because I'm incredibly comfortable with correctors that I can make the green or peach work.

Let's look at a group swatch, and then I'll explain:


First off, the peach would make my dark circles darker without any self-tanner. This is a medium-to-deep shade. I can make the blue work-but I wonder if skintones darker than medium can pull it off because it's so white-based. The green is way too deep for fair-skinned people like myself- this is more of a medium-deep green, based on my experience.

In short, this is really meant for medium skintones, otherwise it's really difficult to work with.

I kept it for the blue, to be honest.

What about the formula?

It's certainly balmy. You'll note in the photos how torn up it looks. Here's what one light dab of my finger looks like:


Yikes! It's nice and emollient, but a little goes a long way. I think it would be easy to blow through this product extremely quickly, but it does a nice job on the face and doesn't appear to interfere with foundation.

I do like the performance, but it's not summer-shipment friendly. This is a melty product.

Is this a good value? Nope, nope, nope. It's nice and compact and travel-friendly. That said, I was onboard with the product until I did the math earlier. It's really, really expensive for what you get- especially for non-medium skintones.

It's in-store at Ulta now- if this interests you (I do like the blue), I recommend checking it out in-person before buying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers- please let me know what you thought about these posts. Please keep it related to the content in that post, though. Spammers, solicitation, or inappropriate content are my only no-gos.