Friday, February 28, 2014

Drybar Detox Dry Shampoo

Dry shampoo is one of those items that has always sounded like a great idea for me, but I've struggled to figure out how to use it in real life.  I've worked my way through a series of failed flings with dry shampoo, but may have landed on a winning formula with Drybar's Detox Dry Shampoo.






I've briefly discussed my hair on this blog before, but let me refresh your memory since it's been a few months.  I have long, straight, fine color-treated hair- and a lot of it.  I dye my hair red (I'm not telling if I'm a natural redhead or another color!), so naturally it fades very quickly.  One of the top tricks that I've come across is both delaying the initial wash following when I get my hair dyed, and also shampooing less often.

I may know it's bad, but I grew up having to wash my hair daily because I'd sweat in my sleep and would end up with oily hair.  Over the past year, I've made a dedicated effort to wash my hair far less often.  Enter dry shampoo.

In full disclosure, I purchased the Detox Dry Shampoo as a part of the Morning After Kit at Sephora only because the store was out of the shower cap alone- the real reason I was in the store (review to follow).

Detox Dry Shampoo retails for $20 for 3.5oz, and comes in two versions: original and brunette.  The Morning After Kit (LE) retails for $35 and includes Detox Dry Shampoo and The Morning After Shower Cap. 

Here's the rear of the can:





Ingredient-hawks, you can find the full list here.  I verified that the list on the site matches that on the back of the can exactly.

This is an aerosol, with a large nozzle:





Now, let's talk about the dry shampoo:

The directions state to shake extremely well, then spray 2-4 inches from roots and gently blend.  I tried this two mornings recently when I was running late for work. 

In both cases, I shook the can for a good 3 minutes or so (hey, I listen to extremely), then applied a good 2 inches from my roots.  I applied a healthy amount since I have a lot of hair and blended.

In both trials, I also brought pins/hair ties to put my hair up if it felt greasy by mid-day.  Shockingly, I never felt the need to do so!  It took me a bit longer to do my hair since I did more of a real blowout in each section prior to flat ironing my hair.  Still, it was faster than washing and drying my hair that morning.

It applied clear and blended with my hair, which is a plus. Other dry shampoos that I've tried have left me looking like I have dandruff.  By a mile, this is my best experience with a dry shampoo.  I wouldn't use it on a regular basis, but it's great to have on-hand for a pinch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers- please let me know what you thought about these posts. Please keep it related to the content in that post, though. Spammers, solicitation, or inappropriate content are my only no-gos.