Thursday, September 25, 2014

Tom Ford Eye Color Quad Nude Dip



Let me preface this entire post by stating up front that I normally don't review LE items that are sold out, but I felt like I owed these swatches to everyone since I did go through hoops to get it. Some caveats: No, I don't know where you can you purchase one. I purchased mine through my normal Tom Ford SAs. And no, I'm not looking to sell mine. With that said, please enjoy Tom Ford Eye Color Quad Nude Dip.

I've purchased most of the must-have palettes for this season (this, YSL's Leather Quint, Armani Duo, one of the Chanel quads), and after playing with the coveted Tom Ford Eye Color Quad in Nude Dip, I find it both the easiest and the hardest to work with. I'll explain why in a bit.



First, the basics: the Tom Ford Eye Color Quad in Nude Dip ($79) contains four neutral shades for a total weight of 0.21oz/6g. It was released in very limited quantities as part of the Fall 2014 color collection and sold out essentially instantly. From what I've read, it's still available outside of the United States, but you're on your own for that.

This formula is workable both wet or dry. The four shadows are housed in the traditional Tom Ford brown casing with gold accents. This palette, like others, comes with its own dustbag.



Nude Dip has 4 nude shades: a champagne, rose gold, taupe, and mid-toned brown. They're all lovely and blendable.



This shot, with flash turned on, shows just how metallic these shades are:



Pigmentation and wear time aren't a problem with this palette, like any other Tom Ford product.

Swatched, in direct sun:


Swatched, outside (indirect light):

Swatched, outside (no flash):



Swatched, with flash:




I find Nude Dip to be problematic not because of the colors. It's a beautifully edited set of neutrals. I don't find it to be problematic due to the formula- it's amazing. I just struggle with the palette as-is at this pricepoint.

Nude Dip would seem to be perfect for work, but it's too shiny/metallic for conservative workplaces. It makes a beautiful neutral eye, but I can only find a few looks from it- not allowing the versatility that I demand from a pricey palette.

I do reach for this when I need a quick neutral eye, and like the formula. I'll keep working with it, but at the highest end of the price spectrum, I shouldn't have to work with it. I have a feeling I'll continue to warm up to it over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers- please let me know what you thought about these posts. Please keep it related to the content in that post, though. Spammers, solicitation, or inappropriate content are my only no-gos.