Like all Dior products, it comes with a beautiful black pouch.
The Diorskin Shimmer Star palette comes in a compact nearly identical to the eyeshadow quints. For those looking for difference, the Shimmer Stars lack the silver band around the top of the palette.
The Shimmer Stars contain 10g/0.35oz of powder, and were made in Italy. There are 5 different colored powders inside, ranging from off-white to a beautiful rose.
Let's take a moment and enjoy how beautiful that is!
Here it is again, outside in natural light. I've numbered the different shades so that we can discuss each in-depth. Although Shimmer Star is known as a highlighter by mixing the shades, I've found a number of other ways to use this.
- Shimmer Star #1: This is a pearly pink opalescent color that's beautiful as a straight highlighter or in the inside of the eye to reflect color
- Shimmer Star #2: This is a frosty pink that I've used as a crease color, but this is mainly a shade I blend with the others.
- Shimmer Star #3: Slightly darker frosty pink that can be used as a accent.
- Shimmer Star #4: Darker shimmer pink that I've used as an eyeshadow for a daytime look.
- Shimmer Star #5: This rosy shimmer also doubles as a beautiful blush.
I also mix them together and apply lightly with a fan brush as a highlighter. It imparts a true shimmer without glitter.
Some swatches (although they're tough to see):
I compared the overall color with Lancome's La Roseraie Highlighter. A quick shot together so we're all on the same page in terms of the Lancome:
It was very easy to see the difference with the naked eye, but photographing it proved problematic.
This is out of focus, but shows the biggest difference the best:
The Lancome (left) has obvious glitter, and is slightly darker. The Dior (right) just enhances the skin without glitter.
Bottom Line: Who wouldn't love a product that's $15 less than the eyeshadow quints that can be used as highlighter, blush, accent, and eyeshadow? The colors are far sheerer, but useful for a subtle glow. The next time you're near one of these beauties, I highly recommend playing with them. It took one of the Dior traveling makeup artists to open my eyes to just how awesome the Shimmer Stars are- and how I can't live without them.
Pricing/Availability: $45, via Dior counters and Sephora.