Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Becca Apres Ski Eyeshadow Palette

Today I have a product I wasn't going to buy to share with you.



I think I went through at least five different stages with this palette. First, I was intrigued. Then, I saw more photos and was underwhelmed. Next, I reconsidered the palette. I waffled back to a hard pass. Finally, in the haze of a 20% off coupon and one remaining palette on the shelf it came home with me.

For the record, it's more reflective packaging, so photographing it is a joke. It's got that same icy pattern as the face palette, but it's golden instead of blue.

So, let's really dig into the Becca Eye Lights Palette from the Apres Ski Glow Collection.

This eye palette contains seven shades of eyeshadow inspired by the Shimmering Skin Perfectors. This retails for $45, and I picked mine up at Ulta. It's been on sale (probably because it hasn't sold well) for $29 almost the entire holiday season. If I hadn't gotten mine on sale, I'd be mad.


As I mentioned, it's reflective. Argh.

In terms of product, you receive a total of 9.8g of product.

Opening it up, there's a nice, large mirror- and round pans that could've either been bigger or in a smaller palette. Tons of wasted space here.

Funny story: this is the best shot I got of the palette without me in it, and I had essentially dropped it on the ground in frustration. See the shoe heel?
Let's look at this a little more zoomed in:

That's reflecting my background, but in terms of color saturation it's spot on. That's what you're going to get, minus the reflected pattern. I'm loathing these holiday shiny palettes this year.

This is the cleanest shot, but #2 is the truest to color.


Clearly they could've adjusted the size of the pans or the size of the palettes.

Let's get into the shades. There are two holiday-themed shades to complement the shades we know and love.

  • Pearl (soft, luminescent white w/ satin finish)
  • Rose Quartz (soft pink w/ shimmer finish)
  • Topaz (radiant, golden bronze w/ shimmer finish)
  • Opal (neutral white gold w/ shimmer finish)
  • Moonstone (pale, incandescent gold w/ shimmer finish)
  • Toasted Marshmallow (taupe brown w/ satin finish)
  • Hot Cocoa (warm burgundy w/ satin finish)

The first day I tested this, I used three of the shades on my eyes: Pearl in the inner corner, Moonstone in the inner lid, and Opal all over. I paired it with some light makeup because I had to do a presentation at work. I was obsessed with the light and fresh look that this produces. I looked youthful and just... alive. (Lashes are Stila Huge Lash and mine. Side note: I should repurchase that mascara. Dang.).



After some additional reflection, I'm happy to have this and think it's perfect for my M-F life. Although I adore color, truthfully I need to keep things pretty tame in my office. I push it to the limit, but I'm a huge fan of easy neutral palettes. I can see this being a great companion to my Viseart Matte palettes, for example. I've continued to reach for this when I want a pretty, glowy, neutral look. To be 100% honest, you can get a nice look using the highlighters on your eyes. That said, there's something about this palette that just works for me. I think it'd be a nice gift.


Here's a swatch of almost all of them... for some reason I didn't swatch Pearl. Sorry about that, but not redoing the swatches at this point since I've been avoiding reviewing this for over a month.




In short, a basic, glow-filled neutral palette. It's nice, and performs well. It's already getting lost in my collection and I feel Becca could've done better. That said, I'm sure I'll get plenty of use out of it and at the sale price it might be a nice add-on to a Christmas gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers- please let me know what you thought about these posts. Please keep it related to the content in that post, though. Spammers, solicitation, or inappropriate content are my only no-gos.