Saturday, June 24, 2017

Winky Lux Whipped Cream Primer



After shooting photos for more than 70 posts (luckily, some of these are permanent collection items and I don't need to worry about posting them immediately), one might wonder why it is that I decided to start with this one instead of some of the posts I've been teasing on Instagram. It's because this caught my eye, ok?

Let me be honest about how my purchase of this product went down. I was scrolling through Nordstrom.com's New Arrivals in the beauty section and scrunched my face in confusion when I found this listing. I'd never heard of this brand, and any primer claiming to be whipped cream is a product I'm game to try.



At just $20 for 13g/0.46oz for a cruelty-free, paraben free, and gluten free product made here in the USA, it was a relatively affordable gamble. (Note: This is the Nordstrom price; it's cheaper on their website by $1.)

A little bit of internet research later, I was left feeling a little behind on my makeup game. This brand has been around for a minute, and already had ASOS and Forever 21 as distributors. It seems that their take on the "Flower Lipstick" (originally from Korea) was what popularized the brand. I thought about purchasing that, but it would've melted because Nordstrom uses USPS 50% of the time for my shipments, and products melt in a metal mailbox.

Back to the Whipped Cream Primer. When it arrived, I was a little surprised at just how small it was. I placed it next to the L'Oreal primer and felt better.



Let's look at the claims.

This whipped, silky skin primer blurs pores and prolongs makeup wear. Apply in a circular motion with fingertips and wear alone, or under foundation for a flawless look and baby feel every day. For best results, pair with Winky Lux Diamond Complexion powder.

Now, onto the ingredient list:

Dimethicone, Cyclopentasiloxane, Polysilicone-11, Silica, Cyclohexasiloxane, Aluminum Hydroxide, Sodium Stearoyl Glutamate, Sodium Cocoyl Glutamate, Acrylates Copolymer, [+/- (May Contain): Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140), Red 6 (CI 15850)].

OK, so we've got a silicone primer claiming to blur pores. Got it. And that also makes me feel a lot better about the size of the primer.

Here's a shot of the primer so you can see the texture:



It's more of a "dry" whipped cream, as you can tell. That said, I see where it got it name from.



I've grabbed a bit here on my hand so you can see the "body" of this primer- it stands on its own.


There are some thicker silicone primers, and there are some fluid ones. Clearly, this is the former. I'm not mad at it.

So, I didn't bother to shoot the wear of my foundation on the three times I tried it out, but had a similar result each time. In the AC, it's awesome and does blur my pores visibly like it claims to do so. Once I went outside in a humid environment with a heat index pushing 100, it was too much for a primer like this. It didn't help my foundation stay any longer, but I wouldn't expect a primer like this to do that.

Bottom line: it's a nice silicone primer. I didn't notice any breakouts, and I liked the way my foundation looked. It's not right for the summer climate around here, but I'll be pulling it out this fall to enjoy. This is a new brand to Nordstrom, which meant it was new to me. I'm looking forward to testing more from the brand in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers- please let me know what you thought about these posts. Please keep it related to the content in that post, though. Spammers, solicitation, or inappropriate content are my only no-gos.