Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Fenty Beauty Killawatt Freestyle Highlighter in Metal Moon & Universal Gloss in Fenty Glow



Today I'm happy to share my initial purchases- and thoughts- about Fenty Beauty. This was clearly the largest, most buzzed-about line to launch in 2017. I found myself walking after work to the nearest Sephora to check it out. At that time, I picked up one item. Several days later, I came back for a second. I'll be back for more.



I picked up two items from this first launch- the Killawatt Freestyle Highlighter in Metal Moon and the Gloss Bomb Universal Lip Luminizer. If you're curious, the gloss came first.

Let's start with the Killawatt Freestyle Highlighter.



Highlighters are one of the key products in the line. I have one of the two single-pan highlighters- Metal Moon.




It's almost impossible to capture in a photo, but the hexagonal packaging has a blue pearl. It's truly beautiful.



For $34, you get 8g/0.28oz of product. It's about the same as a Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector, but for $4 less.



Metal Moon is described as "mega fine white gold." In the pan, it looks straight up white.



This shade hasn't gotten the best reviews, but I think this shade was meant for me. It's suited best for someone who is very fair, and who prefers a subtle highlight. It's the anti-Trophy Wife.  Know anyone that meets that description? Yeah, I thought so too.

Here's a swatch of Metal Moon- with the lights turned down so that the natural sheen is visible.


I love it. I know I've mentioned working in a conservative workplace; I can use this safely for work. There aren't that many recent releases I can say that about!

Here's an iphone photo of my highlighter popping. Sorry for the side eye (literally).



See how it glistens? Now, let's deal with that texture. That's 100% the foundation and not the highlighter.

This won't be my last highlighter purchase from the line. Gloriously golden Trophy Wife continues to haunt me. I went back and forth when I picked up Metal Moon. Don't think that I have any intentions on wearing it as a highlighter- it has no business on my fair skin. However, it needs to get on my eyes. Now. (But I did find an Inglot shadow that helped to curb that lemming right now.)  I also want to grab one of the duos eventually.


Now, onto the Gloss Bomb.


There's only one lip product at the moment- a $18, 9ml Gloss that's touted to be a universal shade.


This was actually the first thing that caught my eye from the collection. The applicator's actually interesting as well, It's a hexagonal tube with an oversized wand:


I'm not the only one to make this comparison, but it does remind me of Shape Tape.

Let's go to the swatch:


I tried to show this on my lips, but have had mishaps the five times I've reshot. So let's just talk about this instead. It's a hydrating formula that rides comfortably all day on my lips. It's gorgeously natural- but you feel it on your lips for sure. I'm so happy to have this in my collection and actually recommend it above all other products.


As a bonus, here's my $0.02 on the primer and foundation. I got a sample from Sephora of each because I can't justify purchasing another foundation right now- but I was curious. I got samples of the two lightest cool-undertoned shades (110 &170). I made sure my face was extra moisturized in advance, having watched various reviews on YouTube.

I really, really love the primer. So much that I kind of want to purchase it during the VIB sale in November. I'm honestly hammering on the size of my primer collection right now so I don't want to compound what I perceive to be an issue. But this felt like a hydrating moisturizer. It didn't feel sticky but I know it did good things for me because I didn't look overly dried out with the foundation.

Ah, the foundation. I didn't have to set it because it self-set (love that), but I just wasn't in love with how my skin looked. The oddest thing happened during the day. I felt oily in my T-Zone, but didn't look it when I checked. I was really wierded out by that. I think it's a nice foundation that photographs well, but it's not something I feel the need to race out and purchase to replace one of my overflowing drawer's staples.

Extra bonus: I won't be purchasing any of the Match Stix ever. I think they're nicely pigmented and blend well, but I don't use cream contour or highlight. If you're fair, avoid the pre-made trios. I'm NW13-15 and need the lightest "conceal" shade. At my age (mid-30s), stick concealers have no business anywhere near my eye area. I'll leave that to you 20-somethings. In short- they're nice and appear to be great quality for what they are, but it's not a product that works in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers- please let me know what you thought about these posts. Please keep it related to the content in that post, though. Spammers, solicitation, or inappropriate content are my only no-gos.