Saturday, September 23, 2017

Maybelline The City Mini Palette x Shayla

It took a bit of an effort, but my Maybelline City Mini Palette collection is finally complete. For now.



Today we're going to be talking about the most elusive of the bunch- 460 City Mini Palette x Shayla.



A quick side note for those who may be asking "Who is Shayla?" Shayla is known online as Makeup Shayla, and is a well-known beauty vlogger/Instagram user. She was previously in a campaign this spring for Maybelline's Big Shot Mascara (with MannyMUA), and now she has a four-piece collab with Maybelline. I passed on the mascaras but worked hard to get my hands on the palette.



For those wanting my review on the permanent plus Ulta exclusive, or the Walgreens-exclusive palette, there are the links.

Like the other palettes, this is a six-pan palette for $9.99 and it contains 4g of total product. This is a warm, rich palette and is unique within the line.



Like most of the rest of these, there's a mix of formulas. I see some satins (possibly mattes, I'm writing before swatching), some shimmers, and some glitters.



The first shade is an old gold. Completely dry, this metallic shade is so buttery and pigmented. It's a better formula than prior palettes.

The second shade is a matte cream that's really nice. It's not powdery, and the shade applied flawlessly. This is more like the mattes I saw in the all-matte palette.

The third shade is a red-brown satin (nearly a matte). This one needed a little more love, but you're seeing two passes (vs 1 of the first two). It's beautiful and easy to work with.

The fourth shade is a buttery, gorgeous yellow gold with cool undertones. I'm in lust with this shade.

The fifth shade is a matte black in the pan but a disappointing dark charcoal on the eye. It'd work well for its indended purpose- to deepen a look- but it's not great.You're seeing three careful passes here.

The sixth shade is a glorious warm plum metallic shade. It's quite soft (see the below photo) but it's very nice to work with.



Now, here's the swatches:



I really think that Maybelline improved the formula significantly from the first seven palettes to both the matte palette and this Shayla collab. If you'll recall, I had to dampen my brush to intensify shades, but those swatches were all done dry, with a squared Sephora Collection synthetic brush. I used a Color Switch between passes to clean the brush but keep it dry.

Bottom Line: I think this might be my favorite of all of the Maybelline City palettes. I can't wait to play with this all fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers- please let me know what you thought about these posts. Please keep it related to the content in that post, though. Spammers, solicitation, or inappropriate content are my only no-gos.