Friday, September 22, 2017

Viseart Friday: Theory Palettes I (Cashmere), II (Minx), and III (Chroma)



As I mentioned earlier this month, I'm so happy to be sharing my favorite eyeshadow brand with you most Fridays. Absent new releases, I'll be through the brand's eyeshadow palettes before Christmas. I hope my wallet can accommodate!

Let's talk today about the original three Theory palettes ($45 each, 6 x 0.13oz). They're available via Sephora, Beautylish, and Muse Beauty. If the Petit Pro was the gateway drug, consider these the "it's ok" phase. Because $45 for a 6-pan palette isn't that bad. Let's look at some other comparisons for high-end eyeshadow:

Natasha Denona 5 Pan: $48
Tom Ford Quad: $85
Marc Jacobs 7-pan: $49
Dior Quint: $62
Hourglass Quint: $58
Lancome Quint: $50

Honestly, it doesn't look that bad in comparison- and I think these formulas are even better.

In total, there are five Theory Palettes. We're going to talk about the three OGs today, which each have three matte and three shimmer shades:

Theory I- Cashmere (neutral to cool tones)
Theory II- Minx (warm tones)
Theory III- Chroma (very cool/smoky tones)

Honestly, they're just about all you need in your kit.

I have two of the older packaging (I & III) and one of the newer packaging (II). The biggest difference is the new inclusion of a mirror.


Not really a big deal, right?

These are cardboard palettes truly geared towards pros. They're quite sleek and fold into a small rectangle:


The six pans are all magnetic and removable:


I learned that by accidentally getting two a little too close! I'm not sure why I decided to take a photo, but I'm glad I did. The brand frequently shows photos on their Instagram of magnetic palettes, but I personally couldn't do that to my palettes.

I didn't feel the need to show it in photographs, but like the Petit Pro the shadows are covered by a plastic tray. It's a nice touch and makes these a little more travel-friendly.

I'll speak generally about the


And before I get into each of the palettes, here's what I used for my swatches (the same as my big palettes)- a synthetic, squared Sephora brush, and I use a Color Switch to clean off the dry brush between swatches.


These are pretty soft shadows- here's the damage done by a swatch:


That said, these blend themselves. You need only the lightest hand and you'll have a pro-looking, blended look. These are my favorite formula- even over the Natasha Denona shadows (although the Natasha Denona are a very, very close second.)

If I could only pick one formula to wear the rest of my life, this would be it. They last all day and are worth every single penny. You're paying for quality. I'm just glad that this pro brand is available to us mere mortals.

With all of that aside, let's get into the first three Theory Palettes.



Theory I- Cashmere was my first purchase, and the one that I reach for the most frequently. The shades are neutral-to-cool and chameleons. I have a hard time capturing their beauty  The cream matte works well for browbone work on a NW13-15 skintone, and the medium brown if blended lightly works well in the crease. The darkest matte works well in the outer V or as a shadow liner. I love all three of the shimmers. The darkest reminds me of a shade in the infamous Tom Ford She Wolf trio which I panned.



It's just a great basic palette that's not trendy but a true staple. There's a reason why I reach for this so often.



Theory II- Minx is the warmer, trendier sister of Cashmere. Although I like the matte cream, it's too warm for all-over work. It's almost a transition shade in a light look for me. I do like the mid-toned and darkest mattes for basic foundational work in everyday work looks. Of the three shimmers, I can only wear the lightest on a daily basis. The vibrant coppper and burgundy are gorgeously pigmented but really intense. That's not a bad thing, but I rely on these palettes as workhorses at 4AM. I look forward to playing with the burgundy a bit more this fall.


I know that artificial light photo's a bit more overexposed but the shimmers are more accurate. I suspect that more people gravitate towards this palette. I think it's lovely and use it, but it's not my favorite of the group.



Theory III- Chroma is the smoky basic that you need in your collection. You get a matte white and a matte black, along with the shades you'd need to smoke out any look. I haven't worn this on its own (classic smoked out eyes are more of a winter thing for me), but I love having these shades to work into any number of looks. Remember, these swatches are a single pass.


Gorgeous, right?


Overall, these are absolute musts in my collection and I frequently reach for them in my everyday life. These are exceptional quality and worth every penny. I'm so happy to be sharing my collection with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers- please let me know what you thought about these posts. Please keep it related to the content in that post, though. Spammers, solicitation, or inappropriate content are my only no-gos.