Thursday, September 28, 2017

LORAC Mega Pro 4 Palette


It shouldn't be a surprise that I caved and purchased the all-new LORAC Mega Pro 4 palette for Holiday 2017.

(My blood boils talking about Holiday in September.)

This is also a rare mid-week posting for me because I know this is one of those big releases where it's better for me to get posts up sooner than later. Add in being ill (still not sure if it's allergies or ill, but there's a fever involved) and I had the time to do numerous looks in little time.



Once again, we have 32 shades (traditionally 16 matte/16 shimmer- but I quibble with this!) for $59. Unlike every other Pro-formula palette, my Mega Pro 4 did not come with anything else.



I actually spent about 5 minutes looking for the eye primer that has always come with every other LORAC palette. Apparently it's not included with this one. Not a big deal, but that's lost value. I purchased mine online from Ulta.

The exterior is a lovely salmon pink- which is going to get messy.



I reach for the Mega Pro 1 & Mega Pro 2 on a weekly- if not daily- basis. My LORAC Pro Palettes comprise the majority of palettes that live on the top of my desk for easy access. The formula is notorious for fallout but is also buttery and blendable and fantastic. In terms of what I use on a daily basis- LORAC is my go-to (followed by Viseart).

I have to be honest, I don't necessarily "get"this palette. I'm also not really that inspired, but I'll dig in and hopefully fall in love. I found the Mega Pro 3 to be meh and way too monochromatic last year (and I hated the white packaging); the Mega Pro 4 appeals to me more than the 3.




I'll also note that one shade (Dk Chocolate) arrived like this:



Hmmm... Although I'm willing to point the finger at UPS for that most likely.

Now, some swatches and initial notes on all shades. I'm trying something new here- let me know if you like it in the comments down below.

Row 1, Part I:

Note: I have NW13-15 skin so these are so hard to see.




Cotton: Swatch is 2 passes; fairly sheer
Flamingo: Very soft
Cool Taupe: Impressively pigmented, nice texture
Butterscotch: Great pigmentation, really creamy


Row 1, Part II:



Cedar: Nice pigmentation, not as much fallout as other shades
Mocha: Gorgeous. Nailed it with this shade. Pigmented, little fallout. Amazing.
Denim: Sheer and underwhelming
Shadow: I like the pigmentation of this charcoal

Row 2, Part I:



Pink Peony: Pigmented but very dusty
Oat: Great shade; muted
Lt Sage: Quite sheer and disappointing
Sugar Cookie: WTF!! This is a SHIMMERY dove grey amongst the mattes!

Row 2, Part II:



Mahogany: Muted, not as much fallout as average
Blackberry: Good pigmentation, little fallout
Spice: Another perfect formula shade
Dk Chocolate: Nice Pigmentation

Row 3, Part I:



Foam: Very soft and pigmented. Perfect inner corner shade
Honey: Very nice but we've seen this before
Pearl Slate: More transparent base
Moss: WTF. Light, patchy, a miss.

Row 3, Part II:



Steel Wool: In love.
Copper Pearl: One of the best performers but this is easier to perfect
Peacock: lovely and pigmented
Lagoon: Muted, disappointing. Grungy.


Row 4, Part I:



Unicorn: My lights wash it out a bit, but it's very light and a bit disappointing. It's pretty and soft- but not the wow type of color I was looking for.
Lotus: A little patchy, fallout city
Fairytale: Looks to have larger glitter- more like a pressed glitter than the others. Very soft, fallout, some texture but stunning.
Misty Mauve: Stiffer formula, not but that pigmented



Row 4, Part II:


Silver Fox: Performs well
Plum: Muted, not what you'd expect.
Vamp: Slightly patchy on application but you can work with it
Raven: Stunning


For those wondering, here's what my palette looked like after swatching:


That's about average for the line. Note how different Fairytale looks. If this is a new formula, I'm digging it.

I played with this palette over the course of a few days- it's what made me put the Natasha Denona Lila palette down. However, given my extreme familiarity with the formula, I could do multiple eye looks and only test one or two for wear time. I know what this should be.


I was dismayed to discover this isn't a one-palette look palette for me because there's no cream matte suitable for setting primer.

I did a number of looks but had fails with everything- from mascara transfer to bad blending... nothing's worth showing. I will say that I've done work-friendly, bold and glittery, and colorful looks from the palette.


I think this palette's a hit and miss. It's got a lot of those pastels that weren't the best from the Brunch palette earlier this year, but the deeper and richer shades that are in the brand's wheelhouse.


Bottom Line: I'm still not sure what LORAC was going for this year. If you're a collector of the series, you're going to buy it anyhow. It claims to be limited edition, but don't hold your breath on that. LORAC has proven over the past 12 months that it'll be back again and again. I recommend playing in-store to see if it's for you.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers- please let me know what you thought about these posts. Please keep it related to the content in that post, though. Spammers, solicitation, or inappropriate content are my only no-gos.