Monday, October 23, 2017

Wet 'n Wild Megaglo Highlighter Shade Extension

I must confess: I've been dragging my feet to write this review for some reason. I'm not sure why.

In case you've been living under a rock for the past two years, Wet 'n Wild's Megaglo Highlighter is by far and away the best at the drugstore. The line started with two limited edition shades that were made permanent this year; now four more shades have joined the line. It was spotting them in the wild (vs online at Ulta, where I purchased mine) that finally made me write this post.


Side note: Gold Bar is back!!!!

OK, let's get back to the four new Megaglo highlighters ($4.99, 0.19oz/5.4g). Here's how this post is going to work- I'm going to give the briefest of intros to the new shades, swatch them all, then show you how they compare to other Wet 'n Wild shades. This isn't going to be an in-depth review of the formula by any stretch of the imagination.


Let's start with the first one to grab my eye- Royal Calyx.


These maintain that same design seen on the first two Megaglo highlighters. This is a lovely blurple highlighter.


It's not the most wearable of shades, but it's something fun in my collection. Here's a swatch:


I'll get into some comparisons here in a bit.

Next up, Golden Flower Crown.


It's truly a lovely gold that's not as intense as some other releases.


Here's a quick swatch before we get into comparisons later.


Next up, Botanic Dream.


This light pink is the type of highlighting shade that I gravitate towards.


It is a bit darker than most of my pinks but reminds me of a few things in my drawer.


Last, but certainly not least, is Blossom Glow.


This is the lightest shade of the new collection- and the one I've naturally been reaching for the most.


Look at that swatch- it's heaven on my skin.



Before I get into any comparisons, here's the two group swatches you've probably been wanting to see.

The four new shades:



And the ENTIRE permanent Wet 'n Wild Megaglo lineup:


So, I got out other Wet 'n Wild highlighters (limited and permanent) to do some color comparisons:



Comparison 1: Royal Calyx vs Lilac to Reality (LE Spring 2017):


Lilac to Reality is clearly much more pigmented and less wearable than Royal Calyx. The shimmer is also finer in Royal Calyx.

Comparison 2: Botanic Dream vs The Sweetest Bling (LE Spring 2017) vs Everlasting Glow (LE ColorIcon Unicorn Collection)



Botanic Dream is warmer than The Sweetest Bling as well as a little darker.

Comparison 3: Golden Flower Crown vs Holly Gold-head (aka the gold bar) vs Bronze Over the Rainbow (LE Unicorn Collection 2017)


Golden Flower Crown is lighter than Holly Gold-Head. They're different enough that I hope that the gold bar stays around permanently!


Bottom Line: Just buy them all. They're $4.99 each. They've got a formula that's similar to those being sold at nearly eight times that amount. Just do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers- please let me know what you thought about these posts. Please keep it related to the content in that post, though. Spammers, solicitation, or inappropriate content are my only no-gos.