Tuesday, October 31, 2017

ColourPop x My Little Pony Collection

Confession: I have a weakness for My Little Pony.



This isn't holiday, but I wanted to sneak in this review before ColourPop sold out of the entire collection. This is fun and colorful- and perfect for an 80s kid like myself. My mother has tapes of me somewhere playing Ponies as a toddler. Apparently I had different voices for them all.

No wonder I ultimately ended up learning how to ride horses...

Sorry for that digression- let's get back to the collection. In full disclosure, I haven't put this through the normal rigorous testing that I do behind the scenes before posting this- I'm overwhelmed with trying to rapidly test and review the holiday products. I actually see this as more of a January-February-March collection for me. I have done a couple of different looks, but I didn't put it through all of the paces.

I picked up three of the products from the ColourPop x My Little Pony Collection.


 Let's start with the Pressed Powder Face Highlighter in Trickles ($8)


The outer box is stunning- and a collector's item itself! WOW! Now, let's look at the product inside.


Not quite your average ColourPop packaging. This was the first product I unboxed initially, and this made me feel really good about the collection. It's clear that ColourPop spent some serious money after getting the My Little Pony rights- that bodes well for quality products inside.


Before we open up the compact, let's just chat. That $8 gets a single pan that contains 6.5g of product. The packaging itself is a lilac plastic but it feels very secure and doesn't seem cheap. Well done!

OK, let's look at the pan:


Wait. There's a mirror! OK, ColourPop, I see you. I'm feeling you on this.

OK, back to the pan:


Trickles is a pinky lilac shimmer that flashes a lot cooler on the skin. ColourPop says it's "lavender with pink opal duochrome flip." I see the pink more in the pan- but that's my complexion doing that I suspect.


This is strangely really wearable, and I adore these types of shades. So far, we're 1 for 1 with this collection. Despite it looking unicorn-esque, it's wearable on my skin M-F.


Next up, the Super Shock Shadow in Cherries Jubilee ($5)


I have an unrelated story to tell about why I want to pick up a few just to keep for nostalgia reasons. As a child, we had this custard stand in my hometown that had different flavors every day. My favorite flavor of all time? Cherries Jubilee.

So I had to buy this shadow. It's a combination of My Little Pony (a childhood favorite) and my favorite frozen custard of all time. To be honest, it could've been crap and I'd love it.

ColourPop really kept the excellent packaging up, even with this small box.


For $5, you get 2.1g/0.07oz of the unique creme to powder eyeshadow texture that made the brand famous. And this has the same lilac packaging as the highlighter.



According to ColourPop, this is "opalescent pink with hot pink glitter."



My camera didn't pick up the pink shift in the pan- but it's prominent in person. I found one place in the swatch where you can see it subtly- but it's not subtle.


This is a true glitter topper. It's not normally my cup of tea but as I already conceded, I love it no matter what.

Next- and finally- it's the My Little Pony Eyeshadow Palette ($16)


That same packaging continues through in the box, and the shade names are given on the back of the box:


Let's take a look at the palette. This is different packaging than the others- it's cardboard.



I know this is an odd angle, but it's to show off the color shift in the decals on the front!  The back of the palette more clearly shows the shade names:


Although I've tried the pressed powder eyeshadow formula before, this is the first palette I've purchased from ColourPop. That $16 gets you 12 pans of 0.85g each- slightly more than half of their usual 1.5g pan size.


No mirror, but that's no problem. Let's take a closer look at the colors.


And now, the swatches.

Row 1:


I was surprised with how pigmented Butterscotch is, and Bluebell is a totally wearable everyday lid shade.

Row 2:


Skydancer is one of the main reasons why I bought this palette. I'm in love.

Row 3:


Firefly and Snuzzle are nighttime shades for me- I can't wait for a reason to pull them out.


Certainly after Subculture, I tend to look more closely at the post-swatch pans:


No problem here.

If you use the warmer neutral shades, a work-ready look can be made from it. I can't wait to dig into more of the brighter shades.

I highly recommend checking out this collection before it's gone for good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers- please let me know what you thought about these posts. Please keep it related to the content in that post, though. Spammers, solicitation, or inappropriate content are my only no-gos.