Monday, November 6, 2017

Makeup Revolution Slogan Palettes



These two palettes were total "I did it for the Ulta 21 Days of Beauty GWP" impulse buys. Everything about them is different from what I usually reach for.

Makeup Revolution brought out two Slogan Palettes ($8 each, comes with an eyeshadow primer as well) and the price was right. It's been years since I've tried (and decluttered) my other Makeup Revoution palettes.

Update: These are currently $3.99 on Ulta.com. You're welcome.



There are two versions for sale (I got a third as an Ulta GWP subsequently but I won't be covering it in this review). The #Slay palette is warm, whereas the No Photos Please is a cool-toned palette.

I think the packaging is kind of fun- you'll see that it's shifty in my photos. Sort of a LED-like appearance.


Let's start with everyone's favorite, trendy color palette- the warm one.



#Slay contains 9g of product between 10 rectangular pans. I happen to think the clasp on these palettes is difficult to open and close, but it might just be me.

You get a plastic overlay with the shade names- which is unfortunately becoming a standard. I'll forgive it from Makeup Revolution at this price point.



Here's the Slay palette, without the overlay. It looks pretty and on-trend.


I used a key word there. Let me show you the swatches and you'll see why looks can be deceiving.



Killed It? Killed the performance? Ay. Pefect? Perfect what? I know I'm going in on an $8 palette and mattes are harder to perfect. Still, we've recently seen Maybelline kill the matte formula at the drugstore for around the same price.

To call this patchy, poorly pigmented, and a poor performer would be accurate. These shadows didn't fare better on the eye either.

I want to talk about something else that happened. Impress flaked and cumbled apart after a single swatch:



It's still usable, but that's interesting to see the formula scaling off like that. Once I gently blew that off, there's plenty to use- but the formula's completely different than the other shades.

#Slay? More like #Fail. This is a hard pass for me and not even going into my collection. I feel like the mattes have been possibly overpressed.

Hopefully the No Photos Please palette will save us today.



Like its sister (hopefully evil twin), No Photos Please has 9g of product across 10 pans.

Here's No Photos Please:



Take a close look at the pans- I think you're going to see something significantly different with the #fail palette.



My brain goes somewhere else when I see a palette of cool shimmers like this. Ooh... ahhh... look at the taupes and the purples.

Please don't fail me.


In case you're wondering, Adoration came closest to doing the odd flaking thing- but for the most part this palette didn't even kick up much.

To be fair, I'd like to see how similar cool-toned mattes might look to compare with the #Slay palette because the metallics did the best of the bunch- and this is all satins, shimmers, and metallics. This palette's worth $8 for sure- and it's gorgeous. No, I can't get a full eye look since there aren't any mattes.

I wonder what Makeup Revolution's thought process was with releasing this pair because they're so badly mismatched.The mattes range from passable to awful, whereas anything with shimmer (which is easier to formulate) is so pretty.

For those who may think that I'm positive and diplomatic all of the time- clearly, I'm not. If the No Photos Please palette appeals to you, I recommend the performance- with a primer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers- please let me know what you thought about these posts. Please keep it related to the content in that post, though. Spammers, solicitation, or inappropriate content are my only no-gos.