Thursday, July 13, 2017

CoverGirl Melting Pout Lipsticks for Summer 2017: 105 Gel-Ful & 125 Gell Yes


I've been playing with these two new lip products for longer than most of the new drugstore releases, but have held off on reviewing until now because I was completely conflicted on how I feel about them. Just be warned.



CoverGirl has brought out an unabashed Too Faced Melted Liquid Lipstick dupe. These retail for $6.99-7.99, depending on retailer. I have two of the more conservative/lighter shades to share with you.

Let's take a look at Covergirl.com:


See what I mean? They're blatantly calling this a Too Faced dupe! That was strike #1 for this product.

I appreciate the wacky shade range and think it's great that blues and bright purples are now available at the drugstore. Unfortunately, that leaves me with the neutral shades as usual.

By the way, strike #2 is the cringe-worthy Gel names.


Let's start with the first one that I purchased, #105 Gel-Ful


You'll note that the applicator is just like the Too Faced.

Gel-Ful is your standard, basic pinky nude that everyone has in every lip product line.


This isn't an original color, and I'm not a huge fan of this formula. It does what you'd like it to do, but no more. It's a pigmented gel that covers my lip color. In my opinion, you'd do better with grabbing L'Oreal Infallible Paints Spicy Blush for something similar.

I decided not to just base my opinion on the line on just one shade, so I picked up 125 Gell Yes.


OK, a classic blue red seems really promising. And it looks stunning on the lips:


While this color photographs beautifully, I'd never wear this all day because it slides around too much. I spent all of my time paranoid that it was smeared all over my teeth. I'd never eat with this or drink- which makes it impractical.

Here's an important caveat: I don't regularly wear the Too Faced Melted Lipsticks; any that I've picked up have been from Nordstrom Rack or TJMaxx. So I'm not a fan of products with a consistency like this anyhow. If this is your type of formula, you might love these. Me, not so much.

Just for fun, some swatches:

Bottom Line: Not my favorite new release, but they are quite similar to the Too Faced (which I've never paid full price for). I think it's great to have a drugstore-priced option and applaud CoverGirl's color range. That said, after giving these a healthy try I put them down and haven't felt compelled to wear them. Pigmentation and opacity are awesome, and I do recommend picking one up if you're a fan of the Melted Liquid Lipsticks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers- please let me know what you thought about these posts. Please keep it related to the content in that post, though. Spammers, solicitation, or inappropriate content are my only no-gos.