Monday, July 17, 2017

Nordstrom Anniversary Sale 2017 Beauty Exclusives: MAC Saint No Angel Mini Lip Kit



Welcome to the first of the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale 2017 Beauty Exclusives that I purchased! Admittedly, this is 90% a swatch-based review and my historical knowledge of the formulas- but it's MAC. I played around with the kit for awhile and have some thoughts. Please don't confuse this with an in-depth review... but let's be honest- we all want swatches, right?

Although I generally avoid the MAC kits/looks in a box like the plague, there was one reason two reasons why I just had to. I've peeped at the new mini MAC lipsticks on Nordstrom's site, and I couldn't resist the urge to get a pair for myself.



My local store had both the Saint No Angel Mini Lip Kit, which we're going to be talking about and the Baby Be Cool Mini Lip Kit in stock. I did swatch the bolder one, but it's a super cool-toned pink with a lot of white in the base. I don't think it'd be an everyday wear- and it's going to be a little tricky for most of us to pull off. This is likely to be the more popular kit, as it's the nude/neutrals.

Enough blabbing, let's get into the details of this kit. Retailing for $26.50, with an estimated value of $40, this is one of the more wallet-friendly options at the sale. You also get four products for that price. I can truly get behind $6.62 per mini lippie when they retail for $10 each normally. By all accounts, this is already a great value- even before we get into the colors, formula, and swatches.

Let's jump into the details.


You receive two mini lipsticks (Dandy Apple & Love You Lots), which contain 1.8g/0.06oz of product each, and two mini lipglosses in MAC's Lipglass formula (Saint No Angel & Totally Buff) that contain 2.4g/0.08oz of product each. I compared to the Little MAC lipgloss I previously purchased in Clear Water, and they're the same size.



Let's start with the lipsticks.


These are absolutely adorable, and now I want to grab more of the MAC Little MAC lipsticks when they officially launch next month!


Dandy Apple is the lighter of the two lipsticks, and is in the Satin finish. I'd describe it as a browny nude with warm undertones. There's something slightly terra-cotta that shows up on my hand.


this is the shade that sold me on the kit when I swatched it. It seemed to be a little more pigmented than the MAC neutrals that I love- Shy Shine, Shy Girl, etc.


One of the reasons why I love the Satin formula is because it's emollient yet pigmented. I decided to try to go look through my collection for some dupes. Just for comparison, I pulled the same three shades for visual comparison.

L-R: 1. MAC Real Redhead (d/c), 2. MAC Dandy Apple, 3. MAC Pillowtalk (d/c), 4. Kiko Sheer Lipstick #901



So yes, I have lots of similar shades. I can see this one living in my purse because of its size. The real question as someone with pigmented lips was if it covers my lips without liner (because I don't tote liner!)

This is in studio lighting, so I'm washed out quite a bit. Still, I'm happy with the pigmentation and coverage.



Love Me Lots is the darker lipstick, and it's in the Matte formula. I'd describe it as a darker brown, somewhat cool-toned in the bullet but containing surprising warmth.


I'm just going to admit it that I'm not a huge MAC Matte lipstick fan, but I was too intrigued not to give it a try. Plus, I love a few specific mattes.



Let's take a look at the swatch.


This reminds me of something- and something I happen to love very much. Let's just say it together: Velvet Teddy. When I was looking for dupes, I noted something alarming as a result of my recent cleanup- my Velvet Teddy has wandered off. So, I decided to go with the same lipsticks as before to give you a good comparison feel:



L-R: MAC Real Redhead, Love Me Lots, MAC Pillowtalk, Kiko Sheer Lipstick #901

I still think Velvet Teddy is the real dupe to pull. Hopefully someone else will do so in the blogosphere.

Here's what it looks like on my lips:


There's a bit of a mauvey undertone there. I kinda like this color more than I thought I would!


Now, onto the two lip glasses. Let's have a real talk moment... I think this might be the first time that the MAC Lipglass formula has been featured, because I'm not generally a fan of its ultra-tacky texture. But anything for testing, right? Plus, I wanted to give the formula a spin after its reboot/repackaging this past spring.

You receive two MAC Lipglasses in this kit, with totally different levels of pigmentation.



Saint No Angel is the lighter of the two. In the tube, it looks like a golden nudey shade with a lot of shine.


Honestly, this is the type of lip gloss that makes me stifle a yawn because I feel like it's done all over the place, and with non-sticky formulas. Still, let's take a closer look.


Saint No Angel appears to have a bit of pigment, but I'm highly skeptical for when I started swatching and playing with it.



Although I totally dogged this shade for being non-original, I struggled to find a real dupe in my collection. Here are the closest shades I own:


L-R: MAC Lipglass- Clear Water, MAC Saint No Angel, Rimmel London Dorchester Rose, MAC Sugarrimmed

However, it totally disappears on my pigmented lips and looks like all the rest:



While I may complain about these shades, they're essentials in anyone's collection- and having another in a mini is a nice inclusion to the kit. I wouldn't run out and purchase on its own, but it's not a bad product to have.

That said, I tried to apply a thick layer when running out for errands and had to wipe it off. I think it's a better topper for me.





Totally Buff is the darker of the two. I'd describe it as your standard MLBB mauvey nude.



I'll admit that this was a true sleeper for me. I tested this out with an almost no makeup look on Saturday morning. I started out with Saint No Angel and didn't like how it was looking, so I swapped it for Totally Buff. This is gorgeous! It's so pretty that I checked the MAC website just in case to see if it's a kit exclusive (it is).




I did go through my glosses looking for dupes. Luckily, I did pretty well for everyone because this is a stunning color that I know I'll use up.


L-R: Chanel Rouge Coco Gloss #119 Bourgeoisie, MAC Totally Buff, Anastasia Beverly Hills Vintage, Giorgio Armani Gloss #600

Clearly I have a love of this color.


It's just really easy to wear- and extremely pigmented for a lipglass.


Bottom Line: I recommend this kit because it's a great overall value. You're saving close to 40% on each product and getting exclusive shades. Yes, it's neutrals and you can probably dupe them. Putting aside the cute factor, this could be given as a holiday gift- or split into stockings. These also have work lipsticks/purse dweller status all over them. For only $26.50, you can't purchase two MAC lip products. Normally I'm not a fan of MAC's kit offerings, but this particular one's a real winner this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers- please let me know what you thought about these posts. Please keep it related to the content in that post, though. Spammers, solicitation, or inappropriate content are my only no-gos.