Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Dose of Colors Marvelous Mauves Palette



I've heard a lot about Dose of Colors online, and have watched many a YouTuber rave about their liquid lipsticks.

For those who don't know, Dose of Colors is a relatively new (2013) indie brand that has landed a huge distribution deal with Ulta.com. The brand is primarily known for their liquid lipsticks, but their eyeshadow palettes have also generated a huge buzz online.


So, I was excited when the brand came to Ulta. The Marvelous Mauves and the Brown palette have intermittently gone in and out of stock, so I've been stalking. I was so excited to find them in stock and snapped them up.

These palettes are nice, and a similar size to the Becca prior holiday palette (the one with five small pans). You already saw the top, here's the bottom (where you can also see the shade names):


I'll mention that the brand is cruelty free, and these eyeshadows are also talc free and paraben free. So, awesome on all accounts!



The shadows, which retail at $32 for 1.7g of product each, come pressed with this geometric design that gets demolished immediately. That's ok.

Let's have another look:



There are 5 shades. From L-R, lightest-darkest, we have: Fluffy, Rosy, Wishy Washy, Spaced Out, and Wine Stain.

Now, swatched with a dry MAC 242 (Color Switch between colors):



My goodness, those are glorious. They're buttery and I bet 100% blendable.

Now, for a wear test and look.

First impressions (written in note form while applying to my eyes for the first time):


  • Rosy: I thought this would be a lovely transition shade. After putting down a primer base and setting with ABH Fresh, I went in with a Hakuhodo J-series brush (white goat blending brush). Wow, this packs a pigmented punch! It blended beautifully though. After I was done with my lid, I took an ELF pencil brush and buffed it on my lower lash line.
  • Fluffy: I went in with this next, with a MAC 217. I don't usually go lighter after a darker shade, but I wanted to really give a color for the gradient out of my transition. It's slightly chalky but blended amazingly
  • Spaced Out: I went in with this next, to the outer V with a Luxie 231 brush (my favorite for working in a small area). It's quite a wine color and warm compared to the others I'd put down so far. I messed this up a bit but could blend out.
  • Wishy Washy: I then went in with my Tom Ford Brush #12 to pack this color on my lid.
I took photos here just in case I screwed it all up with this next step.


  • Wine Stain: Took an angled brush, picked up powder, sprayed Fix+ and attempted to use it as eyeliner.

To finish this look, I buffed NYX Slide On, Glide On liner in Jewel on my lower lash line and topped both upper and lower lashes with L'Oreal Voluminous Lash Paradise Mascara.



I think it's already known that I'm a sucker for purples and mauves, but this palette is one of the best I've ever tried. Normally, I want a shimmer for on my lid but these mattes may cause me to change my mind.

I'm just so in love, and this is coming from someone who knows and loves Viseart's matte formula. I also have the Brown palette to test; I will be doing so immediately from the time that I wrote the post (not the day this is going live, as this is part of that buffer I was working to build). I'm so head over heels that I'm going to sleuth around for any other palettes offered by the company.

Bottom Line: There's a reason why this is raved out. Just go get it. NOW.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers- please let me know what you thought about these posts. Please keep it related to the content in that post, though. Spammers, solicitation, or inappropriate content are my only no-gos.