Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Glitter Tuesday: Stila Magnificent Metals Glitter & Glow- In a Firenze & Next to Notte



Yay! Glitter! That means it's Tuesday.

Welcome to the first "regular" Glitter Tuesday, which was inspired by my desire to review the entire Stila Magnificent Metals Glitter & Glow Liquid Eyeshadow line.


Each of the Stila Magnificent Metals Glitter & Glow Liquid Eyeshadows retail for $24 and contain 0.153 fl oz/4.5ml of product. They're retailed at Sephora, Ulta, Stila.com, Beautylish, and Nordstrom.com. There are currently 15 shades on the market, including all of the retailer-exclusive (Ulta: Ballet Baby; Sephora: Violet Vixen- although there is reportedly an issue with this shade right now) and LE shades.





First up, the latest two releases: In a Firenze and Next to Notte. Both of these were a bit difficult to get ahold of- but I was able to get mine from Stila's site. Stock has been sketchy on that site and on Sephora's site. Neither shade is available in-store right now.

Can we take a quick side note to discuss how makeup trends shape our purchases? If you'd told me a year ago I'd buy two glittery red liquid shadows, I'd have told you that you were insane.

With that aside, let's get into it.



I'm so happy my camera grabbed the sparkle on the end of the box here.


First up, In a Firenze. This is the more understated of the two shades.


Looking closely at In a Firenze, it's a dusty, warm rose with silver glitter in it. Very on-trend- and wearable.



The glitter particles are visible, but not distracting. The base appears to be pigmented enough to carry the color when swatched.



This is a nice wand. Some prefer to actually put product on the eye with it, but I prefer using a tiny brush to apply the product onto my eyes for more precise application. That said, it is usable. Likewise, some apply this product without primer; I find Glitter Glue to be essential in preventing fallout.

Now, onto the part that you're all here for: swatches. The first swatch is with a photography light/studio light on, the second is with ambient/warm room light:





This is gorgeous and on-trend; I'd use this with the Viseart Warm Mattes or Naked Heat for certain.

I have a different type of look for you; I probably shouldn't have put this review up first. These can be used for liners and I wanted to show a crazy graphic look with a color like this:



That looks insane, right?  Here's what it looks like with my eye open:


I really love how this sets off my eye color- and now I'm interested in playing with more red shades as a graphic liner. My hoods make this 100% wearable because the glitter's contained within the hidden area.

If you're looking for my bottom line- it'll be after the next review.



Now, on to Next to Notte. I'll be honest: this was a 100% "must have them all" purchase. Because really... a red liquid glitter eyeshadow?

Unlike In a Firenze, which has silver glitter, Next to Notte has red glitter.


It looks like a blood red, and I want to purposely show you a wet swatch:

Under studio lights:

Room (ambient) lighting:


It's gorgeous, but I just don't know if this shade is for me. Unfortunately, this dries down a bit darker- which you'll see.

I was able to test this on the 4th of July, so I didn't feel out-of-place. Here are my actual testing notes:

"This looks stunning in the tube and on my teeny tiny brush (brushes ftw for application). But... where did it go? Hella patchy and... why are you migrating? Took two+ coats for opacity, even with a base of shade #12 of the Viseart Warm Mattes palette. And yes, I always use Glitter Glue."

I think it's pretty, and it took 2-3 layers and a hella buffing job on my behalf. It's the lid shade with the Viseart Warm Matte palette here in these in-progress eye shot:



It dried down to a dulled blackened base with red glitter. It's just not that sparkly on the lid, sadly.

Before I go into my bottom lines, let's gawk at a couple of swatches, ok?

First, with photography lighting:


And now with ambient room lighting:


Bottom Line: First, glitter is awesome and fun. This formula is so amazing that it inspired me to do a weekly tribute to glitter, for crying out loud! In terms of the overall collection, the frenzy on these two has to do with shade, not performance. Next to Notte isn't as blingy, and it's much patchier than others in the line. In term of performance, In a Firenze is the clear winner. That said, I think the OG release offers the best formula overall.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers- please let me know what you thought about these posts. Please keep it related to the content in that post, though. Spammers, solicitation, or inappropriate content are my only no-gos.