Saturday, April 19, 2014

Butter London Summer 2014 Lolly Brights Collection: Wink Eye Liner in Holland Park


*Raises hand* Hi, everyone.  My name is QBB, and I have a problem.  I need to admit publicly that I'm crazy for turquoise eyeliners and feel a need to collect all of them. I'm equally loyal to turquoise, teal, and peacock shades.

Phew, I'm glad that I got that off my chest! I have a great new product for Summer 2014 to share today.  While I've tried Butter London's nail polishes, mascaras, and lip gloss, I'd avoided the Wink Eye Liners until recently.






Since this is the first (but won't be the last) review of this line, I'll take a moment to speak to the details.  Butter London Wink Eye Liners retail for $18 and contain 0.04oz/1.2g of product. They're made in Germany.  In the US, Ulta is the exclusive retail location.  Online, these are available via Ulta, Beauty.com, and Butter London's own website.

Butter London claims that this formula sets within 30 seconds and lasts for 24 hours. This product was introduced in Fall 2013 with six shades, and five additional LE shades have been launched since (2- Spring 2014, 3- Summer 2014).



Holland Park is one of three eyeliners launched as a part of the Lolly Brights collection. It is described by the brand as "blue-green shimmer eye pencil." Translation: it's a stunning peacock shade. I've been looking for an excuse to try Butter London's eyeliners, and all it took was my personal color of weakness. 

Please excuse the momentary digression, but I'd like to share my experiences with the other two shades from the Lolly Brights Collection.  I've swatched them several times.  Cheerio is described by the brand as "a gilded yellow shimmer." I was actually most interested to swatch this, as I heard about it from one of its creators back in March. It's best used as an accent liner, similar to how Jaded Jack from last fall is applied.  Swatched, this is a true sunny yellow totally absent of any metallic edge. This is a true sunny yellow eyeliner rather than any sort of gold. Alabaster Gaze is described by the brand as "off white cream eye pencil created to cover a multitude of sins."  Swatched, it's close to being a matte white eye liner. It's very similar to Make Up For Ever's Aqua Eyes #14L, minus the shimmer.

Back to Holland Park. I took a leap of faith and introduced this straight into my favorite way of wearing turquoise eyeliners: as a pop of color with a neutral eye for work. 

I am completely blown away by the Butter London formula.  It's on point. I can't speak to the 24 hour claim (but I will be able to with the next review that I do- I'm currently running a endurance test on some swatches), but this is one of the best/worst formulas I've ever tried. It doesn't move. Period.  Even my beloved Koh Gen Do Cleansing Water had trouble removing it without some serious scrubbing after 14 hours. This performed as well as Make Up For Ever's Aqua Eyes, my go-to for budge-proof, long-lasting eyeliner. With such amazing performance, I've got a new eyeliner obsession. Luckily, there aren't that many shades yet!





Let me share some swatches, and then I'll get to the most important part: comparing this with other similar eyeliners you probably have in your stash.

Outside, without flash:



Outside, with flash:

Inside, without flash:



Inside, with flash:




It's a beautiful shade. Period.

I pulled three long-wearing similar shades from my stash:


MUFE #52L (LE, Summer 2013) is greener. Urban Decay Mainline is half a shade darker and matte.  MUFE #12L is the closest shade.  If you have that in your stash, you probably don't need Holland Park. However, if you're looking for a long-wearing shade, Holland Park is $1 less than the MUFE liners and LE.

Overall, I adore this shade. It's everything that I could ask for and more. I highly recommend this formula and shade. I've already purchased a few other shades and will be reviewing them over the next couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers- please let me know what you thought about these posts. Please keep it related to the content in that post, though. Spammers, solicitation, or inappropriate content are my only no-gos.