Thursday, September 26, 2013

Anastasia Beverly Hills Bold & Beautiful Kit

Like most people, I'm familiar with Anastasia Beverly Hills as the brow gurus.  Admittedly, it's not a brand I've explored before, and I wouldn't have picked up this kit on my own.  I won this item recently, and have been spending some time exploring it.  When I won the item, I was obviously happy that I did so- but I've come to appreciate what a real gem this kit actually is.



The Bold & Beautiful Kit consists of two palettes housed in a beautiful cardboard case.



Volume 1 is devoted to Bold Brows, what Anastasia is known for.  This kit contains a brow powder, brow pomade, a mini tweezer, and a mini double-sided brush.








Here's a look at the colors in direct sun:



Lets take a look at the pomade and brow powder both outside:





And inside:



Although these shades are too dark and cool for my brows, they would be great for most brunettes.  I tested the combo out and loved the look. It just didn't work for a redhead.  However, I've got some ideas on how to use these products (keep reading).  I'd recommend this volume for most brunette beauties- and if you're not, the mini tools are pro quality and worth the palette alone.


Volume 2 is devoted to Beautiful Eyes, and contains a mini shadow palette of 4 (unnamed) shades, and a mini shadow brush.







Let's look at the palette in the bright sun.  These 4 neutrals are stunning.




Unfortunately the 4 shades aren't named.

Shade 1 is a light nude matte eyeshadow.  It's a perfect shade for finishing off any eye looks.

Full sun

Indirect sun, outside


Shade 2 is a beautiful, shimmering peachy-pink that is a beautiful lid and crease color, or part of a modern, daytime smoky eye.

In full sun

Outside, indirect light

Shade 3 is a lovely light fawn brown matte color that's appropriate in all situations.


In full sun


Outside, in indirect light


Shade 4 is almost beyond description. It's a rich brown-black laden with gold glitter that just shines.  This shade would be a show-stopper in a bold smoky eye for nighttime, or as I tried it, along the lash line.  It's one of the most beautiful eyeliners I've seen in awhile.

In full sun- look at the glitter!

In indirect light, outside.


The Anastasia website suggests dipping an angled eye brush into the brow pomade, then picking up Shade 4 as an eyeliner.  I hadn't thought about using the brow products like that, but I'll be giving it a try in the coming days.  I loved Shade 4 as an eyeliner without the pomade.


Here are swatches of the eyeshadows, in order.

First, outside:




And inside, with the flash turned on:



Bottom Line: This is an amazing palette that, at this price ($28-Ulta, Anastasia/ $36- Sephora) every beauty lover should have in their stash.


My favorite look when testing included the following products and tools:

  • Brows: Lighter shade, Anastasia Bold Brows
  • Eyeshadow: Brown smokey eye- Anastasia Beautiful Eyes (Lightest shade- to brow bone, Peachey/pink- crease to halfway to brows,   light brown- layered on lid, Glittery brown/black- along lashline)
  • Primers: Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer, Nars Pro-Prime Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base
  • Foundation: Marc Jacobs Genius Gel Foundation- 10 Ivory Light (testing)
  • Powder: Chanel Les Beiges No. 10
  • Concealer: Benefit Boi-ing 01 Light
  • Blush: Benefit Rockateur
  • Bonzer: Tarte Park Avenue Princess
  • Stila Smudge Stick- Kitten
  • Eyeliner: MAC Pearlglide Eyeliner- Molasses (LE, no longer available) as winged liner
  • Mascara: Dior Diorshow Extase
  • Lips: Make Up For Ever Lip Line Perfector, Sugar Fresh Lip Treatment, Chanel Rouge Coco Shine #87 Rendez-Vous
  • Brushes: Sephora Professional Powder brush, Sephora IT Foundation brush, Sephora IT Medium Shader (x2), Sephora Professional Angled Eyeshadow brush, Estee Lauder Powder brush

Pricing/Availability: $28, available online via Sephora, in-store at Nordstrom, Ulta, or via Anastasia Beverly Hills

Disclaimer: I won this kit as a giveaway available to the general public at a beauty event.  I believe in letting you know if I didn't purchase the item myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers- please let me know what you thought about these posts. Please keep it related to the content in that post, though. Spammers, solicitation, or inappropriate content are my only no-gos.