Monday, September 30, 2013

Chanel IllusionD'Ombre Eyeshadow- 827 Initation

This is the first of my selections from Chanel Holiday 2013: Nuit Infinite Collection.  I've never been drawn to the Illusion D' Ombre line before, but when I swatched this, I knew I had to have it.

In  general, Illusion D' Ombre Long Wear Luminous Eyeshadow is described as a cushiony gel eyeshadow specifically designed for long wear.  Illusion D'Ombre features mostly metallic shades in its lineup.



Initiation (827) is one of two limited edition shades from the Chanel Holiday 2013 collection.  I did not pick up the other.  It is the lighter of the two, and so wearable, in my opinion.

The box gives the novice user instructions on use- something you don't typically see with makeup.  There's also a warning about making sure that the shadow is tightly closed following use; duly noted.



Initiation has a total net weight of 4g/0.14oz.  It comes in a weighty glass container, with black top featuring the classic Chanel logo.











It also comes with a mini brush specifically designed for application.



Now, lets look at this stunning shade.

Outside, in indirect light. Unfortunately it was a cloudy day.

Outside, in indirect light with flash to mimic sunlight.


And what you've been waiting for- swatches!  I swatched it both lightly and heavily so you can see how versatile this shade is.

Outside, indirect light:





Outside, with the flash turned on (for diffuse light to catch the sparkle):




Inside, no flash:





Inside, with flash:



When I bought this shade, I thought it reminded me of a few other cream shadows in my stash.  Here they are, for comparison:



1. Make Up For Ever Aqua Cream- #13
2. Buxom Stay There Shadow- Collie (my original guess as to a possible dupe)
3. Chanel Illusion D'Ombre Initiation (lightly swatched/heavily swatched)
4. Chanel Stylo Eyeshadow- Moon River
5. Make Up For Ever Aqua Cream #12


As you can see, this is as stunner with no dupe in my collection.  Whereas Moon River is platinum taupe, Initation is bronzey pyrite.


As I was applying this, I finally figured out what this reminded me of on my eyelids, smoked out a bit.  Pyrite, or Fool's Gold.  It's a gorgeous color.

Here's a breakdown of the full face I wore while testing this shade, including tools:

Face:
  • Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer
  • Benefit Boi-ing in 01 Light
  • NARS Creamy Concealer- Chantilly 
  • Marc Jacobs Genius Gel Foundation- 10
  • Chanel Les Beiges No. 10
  • NARS Highlighter- Albatross
  • Benefit Rockateur
  • Tarte Park Avenue Princess Bronzer

Eyes:
  • Anastasia Brow Powder- Light
  • Anastasia Brow Gel (review forthcoming)
  • NARS Pro Prime Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base
  • Diorshow Maximizer Lash Plumping Serum
  • Stila Smudge Crayon- Kitten
  • Make Up For Ever Aqua Eyes #25L- top tightline (review forthcoming)
  • Anastasia Beautiful Eyes #1- to browbone
  • MAC Pearlglide Eyeliner- Molasses (upper)
  • Too Faced Better than Sex mascara

Lips:
  • Shiseido Benefiance Full Correction Lip Treatment
  • Make Up For Ever Lip Line Perfector
  • Chanel Rouge Allure- 99 Pirate

Brushes:
  • MAC 190 Brush (foundation)
  • Sephora Professional Powder Complexion brush (Les Beiges- keep an eye out on the website, I saw it back in the clearance section for $9 each)
  • Ulta Professional Fan Powder (highlighter- and they're 50% off right now)
  • Estee Lauder GWP Powder brush (for bronzer)
  • Sephora Professional Rounded Blush Brush (for blush)
  • Ulta Professional Eyebrow brush (brows; likewise, 50% off right now)
  • Illusion D'Ombre Eyeshadow Brush 
  • Sephora PRO Precision Crease brush (for all-over eyeshadow) 
  • Sephora Professional Smudge Brush (I preferred this to the included brush)
  • MAC 204 lash Spoolie Brush
  • Sephora Pro Lip Brush

Bottom Line:  We're talking Chanel holiday collection here, people.  This is the more neutral of the two Illusion D'Ombre shadows and if applied lightly, could be work appropriate. Just get it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers- please let me know what you thought about these posts. Please keep it related to the content in that post, though. Spammers, solicitation, or inappropriate content are my only no-gos.