Friday, September 27, 2013

Lipstick Queen Hello Sailor

I've previously stated my love for Lipstick Queen and its incredible formula.  In my opinion, it's similar in terms of moisturizing ability and glossiness to Chanel's Rouge Coco Shine formula, at a significantly lower price point.

Like most beauty junkies, I heard about Hello Sailor this summer.  I read many reviews, but couldn't get my hands on the sold-out shade.  Fast forward to August, when I discovered in my Ulta ad that not only was the brand coming to stores, but my coveted Hello Sailor was in the ad.

I mis-read the ad and asked about the shade a day early. Since it was late in the day, and the display was to go up in the morning, they sold it to me a day early instead of having me reserve it for after-work pickup.  There started my obsession with the brand.

Let's start with the box- it's just adorable.



The signature Lipstick Queen tube is a metallic royal blue this time:



And for those who aren't familiar with Hello Sailor, here's the twist- it's blue.

Inside, it appears navy:



But outside, it's more of a cobalt:



Either way, it's a stunning color.  But one has to ask- on the lips?  The answer is a resounding YES YES YES!

The key is that it's the Saint formula (10% pigment).  That makes it an amazing berry-like stain.  On my lips, Hello Sailor does the same thing that Dior Lip Glow does.  The only difference is tone- Dior Lip Glow is a cheery pink, Hello Sailor a berry.


Swatched outside, in indirect light.  First, on my hand and then on my lips:






It's just lovely!

Inside, swatched on my hand and lips:

With flash

With flash


Without flash

Bottom line: There's a reason why there was a stampede of beauty junkies looking for it this summer.  I don't wear it as often as I would've thought simply because I've gotten so many amazing lipsticks lately, but it's likely to be a long-term go-to.

Pricing/Availability: $25/ via Lipstick Queen and Ulta



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers- please let me know what you thought about these posts. Please keep it related to the content in that post, though. Spammers, solicitation, or inappropriate content are my only no-gos.