Saturday, March 8, 2014

Burberry Complete Eye Palette No 15 Sage Green



I mentioned in my review of the Complete Eye Palette No 10 Rose Pink that the Sage Green palette had called out to me even though I knew it was totally impractical.  When you combine days of yearning, and very limited in-person access to the line, I found myself driving back to the boutique several days later with the purpose of picking up Sage Green.  It didn't help that I've loved the two Burberry eye products I've tried. (The nail polish? I've sampled better.)

First, the details.  Burberry Complete Eye Palettes retail for $59, and contain four eyeshadows that weigh in at a total 0.19oz.  For comparison, Chanel quads weigh in at 0.24oz for $59, Dior's quints contain 0.21oz for $60, and Tom Ford quads weigh in at 0.35oz for $78.  Burberry solo shadows retail for $29 and contain 0.088oz of product.


I enjoy the aesthetic of the palette, but dislike the difference in the pan size between the central shades and those in the corners.  All pans are stamped with the plaid pattern that's used in all of their powder products. Please see this post for more photos of the items that don't vary from product to product.

I'm just going to take a moment to enjoy the beauty of this unspoiled palette. I was able to grab a bunch of photos in the last gasps of sun for quite awhile.  Don't get spoiled with the sun photos- I had to wander away from home to grab them.

Outside, in the afternoon sun:



Outside, no flash- but not in the sun:






Outside, with flash:





Inside, no flash:





Inside, with flash:






Remember how I called the palette unspoiled? Sadly, I can speak to the durability of the palette.  I fumbled it in its velvet pouch onto a slate patio from at least three feet up.  I'm happy to report that although there was minor damage to the hinge that causes the palette not to line up square anymore, the mirror and the eyeshadow were both undamaged.

Sage Green is a limited edition product for Spring 2014.  This collection is dubbed "English Rose," and this qualifies. Overall, it's clear why this palette kept calling out to me. It's a stunning set of greens.  Let's talk about the individual shades a bit.



Sage Green #1 is vibrant green somewhere between rich grass and emerald.  If you shine a light on it directly, there is shimmer. However, it doesn't read as a metallic/shimmery shade like you'd expect. Swatched, I was surprised just how sheer this is. In the pan, you would assume that this is the most deeply pigmented shade. On the eye, it's a wearable sheer wash.  I have been trying to figure this shade out, to be honest. It's been a lid color for me so far. I think ultimately it's just as wearable as Rose Pink #1.

Sage Green #2 is a lovely light green that really is what I think of when I hear sage green.  I played around with this as both a crease and a lid shade and think this is a green that I may be able to wear. I'm looking forward to trying it with some corals and bronzes.

Sage Green #3 is the most pigmented shade in the palette. It's a warm bronzey light cocoa brown that's an instant classic and easy to use.  The swatches don't do it justice. Burberry does neutrals so well that it's not funny.

Sage Green #4 is a chalky, metallic off-white yellow highlighting shade. I've found it to add so much light to my eyes as a highlight.  It's really more wearable than it looks in the pan.



Let's look at some swatch photos.  It's important to note that my brush (MAC 239) was slightly damp, which packed the color in densely.  This demonstrates the versatility of the formula- it can be a sheer wash (totally dry) or slightly damp with more color payoff.

Colors are swatched in the same order I discussed them earlier.


In direct afternoon sunshine:



Outside, no flash:






Outside, with flash:




Inside, without flash:






Inside, with flash:




Ironically, the sheer formula is what makes this palette workable for me.  I tested this for three days with NARS Pro Prime.  I got at least eight hours of wear, but not much more than that.  The sheer formula requires a bit of work, but the colors blend well.

On another note, I'm happy that this blog is pushing my boundaries. I never would've bought this green palette before- and I'd be missing out!  This is Burberry item #5 for me- don't be surprised to see more of this brand on the blog. I've got a few more items on my wishlist that I suspect I'll be picking up in no time at all. I may have already placed another order.

Bottom Line: Not a must-have, and it's far sheerer than the other palette in this collection. However, it's unique and lovely and I'm glad to have it in my collection.

2 comments:

  1. This has a gorgeous, earthy feel to it! Lovely. I wish my local Nordies had Burberry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the feeling- luckily, my local Burberry boutique now carries the current season's collection. I'm hundreds of miles from the nearest Burberry counter. That's the only reason why I haven't bought any lippies from the line- I need to try with my ridiculous lips.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers- please let me know what you thought about these posts. Please keep it related to the content in that post, though. Spammers, solicitation, or inappropriate content are my only no-gos.