Friday, March 21, 2014

Clarins HydraQuench Moisture Replenishing Lip Balm

Talk about being one step ahead of the trends.  I purchased a tube of Clarins HydraQuench Moisture Replenishing Lip Balm the day before its Oscars cameo and subsequent viral popularity.  And I completely understand why it was so hard for people to find- it took stopping at 4 Clarins counters before I finally found it in stock.


Why was I on the hunt for this particular lip balm?  My beloved Shiseido Benefiance Full Correction Lip Treatment ($36) was on its last legs and I needed a heavy-hitting replacement.  I'd done my research and determined that the Clarins balm ($24) was universally well-liked and might be an adequate replacement- and came in $11 less.

Clarins HydraQuench Moisture Replenishing Lip Balm is primarily composed of rose wax and shea butter, ingredients that can be found in lower priced alternatives from L'Occitaine ($12) and Rosebud ($6), both of which I've owned and loved.  I actually keep a tube of the L'Occitaine lip balm on my bedside table.  Still, I was looking for a heavy hitter to replace my ultra-expensive HG lip treatment.  I could easily justify the purchase since Fresh lip balms, which I enjoy but don't ultimately find very hydrating cost $22.50.



For your $24, you receive a distinctive light blue tube containing 0.45oz of product- the same amount as my beloved Shiseido.  I've been testing it for several weeks, and I'm pleased with my purchase. This is one celebrity-endorsed product that I can find great value in- and I'll likely make this my go-to during warmer months.  I'm not sure if it's up to the harshest points of winter, but my lips did not re-chap during an uncharacteristic cold snap in March.  There's a distinctive rose scent to the balm that dissipates quickly- similar to but a little more intense than Rosebud's salves.  My lips feel hydrated and I haven't needed to exfoliate as frequently since I started using this.  Perhaps the combination of rose wax and shea butter is a magical combination?

Let me be clear: I'm not blogging about this because of the frenzy. In fact, I debated whether to even review the product at all after the frenzy around the lip balm. Ultimately I felt like I might be able to provide useful information, especially for the other fans of the Shiseido balm (which goes out of stock frequently).  I just found it hilarious that I beat the trend literally by 24 hours or so.

I have to give this a huge stamp of approval.  It's been over two weeks since I literally used the last drop of my Shiseido balm, and my lips are just as happy (if not moreso) than before.  I also don't feel the panic I had been experiencing upon realizing I was almost out of my HG lip treatment.  I'm quite content using the Clarins balm and have every intention of using it to the last drop.  I may even buy a second one- it's that good.  (One for the purse, and one for the nightstand.)

Even if it's sold out at your local counter, check Clarins website- it's apparently available there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers- please let me know what you thought about these posts. Please keep it related to the content in that post, though. Spammers, solicitation, or inappropriate content are my only no-gos.