Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Lancome Lip Lover- 339 Fuschia Attitude, 355 Framboise Etolle & 356 Belle de Rouge

The warnings on the prior Lancome Lip Lover post apply especially to this one- this will be long, detailed, and picture-laden!

Today is the second of three posts in which I'll be showing you my initial seven selections from the new Lancome Lip Lover line.  There are several ways to purchase these at the current time:
  • Pre-sale of 5 shades via Lancome's website
  • VIB-only sale at Sephora (14 shades) 
  • Select Nordstrom locations (18 shades)

This post contains three pinky-red shades that I selected.  Please see this post for comparison swatches of all seven shades. Part 1 of my detailed look at this line is available here.

First, let's talk basics.  Lancome Lip Lover is described on Nordstrom's site the "Lancome Lip Lover Dewy Color Lip Perfector."  That's a bit of a mouthful.  Their text refers to it as a 3-in-1 (lip balm that hydrates, lipstick, and lip gloss).  This is a brand-new product being rolled out by Lancome for Spring 2014; I have no information on whether these are permanent or limited edition. I suspect it's the former.  Each Lip Lover contains 0.14oz of product and retails for $23.  For comparison, that's $4 cheaper and 0.06oz smaller than Lancome's Gloss in Love line.

It is essential to note that Lancome reps refer to these by number, rather than by name. It seems that there's some debate among the brand reps whether this is a lip gloss or a hybrid lipstick. Either way, it's fantastic.


Lancome Lip Lover #339- Fuschia Attitude was my first instinct when I looked at the shades for the first time. It was previously featured here in my first look at the line, and served as a catalyst for purchasing additional shades.



Fuschia Attitude is a cool-toned, bright pink that would work nicely on most ladies with pink undertones, and probably on others as well.  It's described on Sephora's site as "purple," which is totally misleading in my opinion.  If you're looking for a purple gloss, go straight to #361 Violette Pirouette, which reads in a swatch like Tom Ford Nail Lacquer- African Violet (which I happened to have on my nails when I swatched).  This is more the color that I was hoping from Trish McEvoy Essential Balm in Gorgeous Pink- and what was photographed in the Saks promo that sent me looking for it.  In terms of potential dupes in the same range, #337 Lip Lover is just slightly lighter, and there's zero reason to buy both.

Here's the requisite look at the tube:



And of the applicator:



Let's talk about the color.  Here it is, on my hand.  First, outside, no flash:



Outside, with flash:



Inside, without flash:



Inside, with flash:



And here it is on my lips:



I think it should be clear why this was an instinctual pick for me.  This is the type of shade that inevitably looks lovely on my lips and I can pull off.  The formula itself is opaque.

In terms of wear, I tested this for one day and one evening (the evening was immediately upon receipt). This is a non-sticky formula with enough shine to be noticeable without that "gloss" look.  The shine settles down into a lovely lip stain/stick over the course of several hours, and this color stood up to eating dinner.  It has a nice level of hydration in that I didn't feel like I needed lip balm while wearing it.


Lancome Lip Lover #355 Framboise Etolle was actually my second instinct when I looked at the initial color swatches.  You'll notice that I have a mini version here; Sephora is offering it as a GWP for VIB/Rouge with purchase.  Being able to indulge in more colors and still get this one allowed me to pass on the full size for the moment.  I fully expect to purchase the full-size soon.



Framboise Etolle is described as "red" on Sephora's site.  While it's the most true red of the Lip Lover line, I'd call it more of a raspberry red.  This and Bordeaux Tempo (#362) are the two red offerings in the initial range. I wouldn't be surprised to see a cherry red added to the line in future seasons.

This is one of the sheerer colors/formulas in the range. However, it makes it wearable.  I will note that this reads more like a gloss than a lipstick, whereas shades like Beige Adage read more like lipstick than gloss.

Outside, without flash:






Outside, with flash:




Inside, with flash:






Inside, without flash:




Here it is on my lips (it looks a bit redder in real life):



Admittedly, I didn't test this for an entire day.  I did test it during an evening out and didn't have to reapply until after dinner.  I got a good eight hours of color and had to scrub it off vigorously.  These shades deposit a significant amount of color and last. And last.  Like the others, I found it hydrating enough that I didn't feel a need for lip balm.



Lancome Lip Lover #356 Belle de Rouge is one of several Nordstrom-exclusive shades at the moment.  I selected it because it was another sheer shade but appeared to have more pigment than several others. It looks and feels more like a gloss than a lipstick.







Belle de Rouge is a sheer hybrid red-orange-coral that's bright and vibrant. It's the type of color that would feel totally at home in July at a pool party and with bright turquoise. I don't own anything quite like it, hence the purchase. I can't find a description of it anywhere, hence my verbage. It is decidedly a warm color.

Here's the obligatory look at it in the tube:


And the applicator:


The really cool thing about this shade is that it's totally a shade-shifter.  I swear that the following swatches were all taken within 5 minutes of each other. 

Outside, no flash:




Outside, with flash:



Inside, no flash:





Inside, with flash:



These 2 shots on my lips show just how hard it is to capture the color. First, outside:



Inside, with flash:


I'm going to be totally honest with you and admit that I only tested this for a few hours because it feels too early in the season for a shade like this. It appears to have similar wear time to Framboise Etolle and other sheerer colors in the range.  It's equally hydrating, and I look forward to pulling this out in the heat of summer (which is where it feels most natural to me).

Bottom Line: I love this line, and highly recommend at least one of these shades to everyone! Part 3 will be coming in the next couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers- please let me know what you thought about these posts. Please keep it related to the content in that post, though. Spammers, solicitation, or inappropriate content are my only no-gos.