Monday, March 17, 2014

Sephora + Pantone Universe Radiant Rush Matte Lipstick- Radiant Orchid

After a recent experience left me thinking "that would be a perfect on-trend lip," my eyes wandered back to the Sephora + Pantone Universe Radiant Rush Matte Lipstick in Radiant Orchid. This is otherwise known as the lipstick that created a frenzy among Sephora's VIB Rouge clients.



First, the basics.  Sephora + Pantone Universe Radiant Rush Matte Lipstick retails for $18 and contains 0.12oz of produce.  Sephora is the exclusive retailer for this collection, which has just been released to the public.



Aesthetically, both the packaging (which is a lovely orchid gradient) and the box are visually pleasing.







I like the tube, especially the squared bottom. It makes it easy to hold onto this lipstick with some security.





This lipstick didn't quite swatch as I expected. I'll get to that momentarily.

Outside, without flash:




Outside, with flash:



Inside, without flash:






Inside, with flash:




This is a pigment-rich shade with a modern matte finish.  That is, it's rich and has lots of depth. It's a non-drying formula that leaves a pleasant stain on the lips.

There are two major points on which this lipstick let me down. First is the shade. It read as a straight-up bold pink on my lips.  I know Radiant Orchid is a red-based purple, but I purchased a purple lipstick, not a pink one.  These lip swatches will show my frustration better:

Outside, without flash:


Inside, without flash:






Inside, with flash:


The inside with flash photo sums up my shade frustration- it's a lovely cool-toned pink but not orchid on me.


The second point that I felt let down by this product was the formula.  It managed to find every single line and settle into it.  I didn't exfoliate, but I had Shiseido lip balm on my lips. I appreciate that it's non-drying but hated how it settled in my lips.

Bottom Line: This is a tough call. According to the product page, this is an online exclusive.  My advice would be to try in-store.  If you're ok with a potentially bright pink shade, go ahead and order this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers- please let me know what you thought about these posts. Please keep it related to the content in that post, though. Spammers, solicitation, or inappropriate content are my only no-gos.