Friday, October 4, 2013

Rimmel London Extra Pop Lash Pop Purple

This was one of my more surprising selections from my recent drugstore haul.  I believe you've already gotten the sense that I'm fascinated by colored mascaras.  Blame the LE Chanel mascaras from this past summer for that.  I've been looking for a fun purple mascaras, so I couldn't resist Rimmel London's Extra Pop Lash in Pop Purple.



I've never tried Rimmel's mascaras before, but at $3.49, it was a perfect gamble.

The wand is very thin:


Let's talk formula.  I found it thin in terms of coverage, but since I'm used to $20+ mascaras, it's somewhat expected.  It was a bit dry, but workable.

Swatches:

Outside, in indirect light:



Inside, no flash:



Inside, with flash:



Overall, I hated this mascara on its own (it didn't show up very well on my lashes) but found it to be fun when used in any of these ways:
  • Layered on top of black mascara just on the tips
  • Layered on top of black mascara just on lower lashes
Bottom line, you need a good black mascara to anchor it for it to show up.  But at this price, it's awesome.  It's not a work-appropriate mascara, but it's a fun pop for most other places.

I've previously reviewed Butter London's Indigo Punk mascara on this blog- here's a comparison between purples:

Outside, in indirect light:

L: Rimmel London Extra Pop Lash- Pop Purple, R: Butter London Wink Colour Mascara- Indigo Punk

They're in the same color family, but the Butter London is far more pigmented, slightly more blue-leaning, and metallic.

Bottom Line: This was a $3.49 drugstore experiment that I consider a success.  I'll keep poking around and see what other gems I can find in unexpected places.  If you aren't a frequent colored mascara wearer, this might be just the formula for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers- please let me know what you thought about these posts. Please keep it related to the content in that post, though. Spammers, solicitation, or inappropriate content are my only no-gos.