Saturday, October 5, 2013

Butter London Wink Colour Mascara- Inky Six

After playing with Butter London's Wink Color Mascara in Indigo Punk (reviewed here) for a couple of weeks, my thoughts returned to Butter London's initial offering beyond nails and Lippys.  One of my favorite pieces of makeup I've bought this entire year is the LE Chanel Inimitable Mascara in Blue Note (from the summer 2013 collection).  It's only natural to be curious as to how Butter's entry into the cobalt blue mascara category stacks up, both on its own or as a substitute for a discontinued favorite.

This also serves as a fantastic wrap-up to the feature on Butter London's Fall 2013 Bespoke Collection.




I'm not going to bury the lead on this review.  Whereas I wasn't totally sold on Indigo Punk, I adore Inky Six!





Butter London Wink Colour Mascaras come in fantastic packaging that deserves a few words on its own.  This beautiful black box is only the tip of the iceberg.





When we're talking a line of colored mascaras, I enjoy that there's a color-coded sticker identifying both the shade name and the color of that shade. It makes for identification of the contents.  Many times, companies simply list the shade name, leaving to confusion by SAs.  (Chanel, I'm looking at you).

Butter has really gone above and beyond to make their first makeup offerings feel luxe.  The interior of the box? Their signature bird logos.  Just take a look:



Well played, Butter.

Inky Six is  a metallic cobalt blue mascara.  Let's look at the tube itself:


I really enjoy the clear exterior that again lends to immediate and easy identification.

Here's a good look at the somewhat thin wand:





And a great look at the actual color of the mascara:


I love it.  It's a saturated yet metallic cobalt and perfectly on trend.

And now, swatches:

Outside, in indirect light

Inside, no flash

Inside with flash

The flash inside gives the best look at the metallic qualities that set this mascara aside from every other cobalt mascara I've ever tried.

 In terms of wearability and wear time, this lasts all day on me and is work appropriate. I have found that the best way to wear this, unlike the Chanel I was looking to dupe, is on top of black mascara.  The cobalt blue reads as black from far away, but the metallic sheen kicks it up a notch.  I tested this with a neutral eye and it looked beautiful.

Now, how does it compare, color-wise, to my beloved Chanel Blue Note?


I regret not buying a backup of Chanel Blue Note when I could have found one, so finding a reasonable dupe is a personal quest.


Outside, no flash: Left- Butter London Wink Colour Mascara in Inky Six; Right- Chanel Inimitable Mascara in Blue Note.


Inside, with flash: Left- Butter London Wink Colour Mascara in Inky Six; Right- Chanel Inimitable Mascara in Blue Note.

Overall, I find them to be reasonable replacements of one another with two major caveats.  First, the Chanel is waterproof and the Butter is not.  Secondly, the Butter is metallic and the Chanel is not.

Bottom Line: I really like this Butter London mascara.  At $20, it's really affordable in terms of high-end mascara.  In terms of pigmentation and longevity, it's on par with Chanel.  I really am enjoying the metallic sheen and will be grabbing a backup of this ASAP!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers- please let me know what you thought about these posts. Please keep it related to the content in that post, though. Spammers, solicitation, or inappropriate content are my only no-gos.